Anyone still on Diablo?

Professur

Mushroom at large
I tried equipping my Merc last night, in the offline game, no-go. Perhaps that only works in the online. Shift-potion didn't work either.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Then I don't know why it won't work. Note - hit tab while in a game to bring up the map. Be damned sure it says "Expansion" in the game notes at the top right. Even with the expansion installed, you have to designate a new character as an expansion char.

Professur

Mushroom at large
Ah, that could be it. I started this pally before installing the update. I assumed installing the update took care of things like that.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
The Expansion set (Lord of Destruction) allows a lot of shit like this. It also adds runes, a brand new type of socket filler.

Even fully patched, though, you have to specify any new character as expansion char. Once you're online and create one (you will have to start over, BTW), you also have to specify the character as a ladder char, or you won't be able to play with the crew here.

greenfreak

I thought you already did that, started over as expansion?? There's another possible reason. Certain mercs will not accept certain weapons. My current merc won't hold a bow, no matter what I do. But he'll take a sword. And like any other character, they have to have the required strength/dexterity/level that the weapon requires.

If it's a magic merc, they don't use swords anyway so there's no use in equipping them as such. Unless you're using them for space.

I just wish I could get a mage back with a bow and arrow in addition to my magic merc. That would be sweet.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Professur said:
How are you guys arming your pallys? I was working my way up through the scepters until I found a matching rare armour and sword combination. Went with that for a while until I found a sweet war hammer.
That depends on the type of pally. Scepters are always a good choice for their mods to skills. But if you play a melee type, you'll want a high damage weapon over skills. For charge high damage and range are important. For zeal, damage and speed. Vengeance is the same, but you should look for Physical damage only. If you use zeal combined with elemental aura, speed is the most important since most of your damage will be lemental any way.
For casters, + to skills are the king and faster cast rate at higher levels. The Hammerdin I'm playing with the people here on ladder has a +1 Blessed Hammer, +1 to Concentration Scepter as primary weapon and a +2 to Redemption one on switch (to recharge Mana).
For survivability, no class tops a Pala, only Barbs with a shield come close.
For the fun, I think for me the most fun to play classes are in this order: Sorc, Paladin, Barbarian. Sorcs are good, but they require more skill, and planning to make a good char. Thats why I recomend starting with melle classes.
Pally's are definitely nice, but I prefer the crowd pleasing abilities of bowazons or sorcs. Nothing like dealing several hundred points of damage to EVERYONE within range of a frozen orb spell. And then doing it again to clear out the survivors.
For Normal and Nightmare Frozen Orb is king, but in Hell, you will not be able to play solo unless you go with a dual-element build. That's the most exciting part of playing a sorc, planning your char. Too many different combos.

Lastly, mercs. The type of weapons allowed:
Act 1 - Bows
Act 2 - Spears,Polearms and Javelins (but no Throwing)
Act 3 - Sword and Shield
Act 5 - Two-handed Swords
I prefer act 2 mercenaries for their auras. Nightmare Combat ones come with Holy Freeze aura, very useful. Some Rune crafted polearms can offer nice additional auras for casters too.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Noite Escura said:
For Normal and Nightmare Frozen Orb is king, but in Hell, you will not be able to play solo unless you go with a dual-element build. That's the most exciting part of playing a sorc, planning your char. Too many different combos.

Quite correct, which is why chain lightning will be getting a lot of attention once orb is maxed out (soon).

Professur

Mushroom at large
Holy Crap. Yeah, that worked. And doubled my stash size too. And now I'm getting skulls. Quite the difference.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
greenfreak said:
There's a cheat where you can specify the numbers of players in the game. It's harder but takes less time to level and you get better stuff!

What, exactly, is the command to do this again? I used to know, but I'm gettin' old....

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
I should be /players n - where n is the number of players you will be emulating. I used it on Single Player mode but for some reason it won't work for me on Battle.Net . I think I read somewhere that's a limit to 4 when playing on-line.
Paladin Zealers can do almost whole Normal diff with players 8...
BTW I will be on line today if anyone is up to party...

greenfreak

I've heard conflicting reports that it's:

/players 2
players 2

So I do both. It doesn't give you any kind of confirmation message but you know it works when you meet the first bad guys. :D

Tonight I will be baking loaves of banana bread for our "Thanksgiving" at work tomorrow. So no playing for me!

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Npite, I whispered, but you might have missed it. She does NOYT have the boot, so sell the shield.

Professur

Mushroom at large
Wouldn't make it across the border, I'm afraid. Besides, I've got 2 14x24 pans of spice cake to go through.

but I am gonna get a Herman started before christmas.