Anyone still on Diablo?

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
At this point, my merc will last through most fights. I lost him only once in Baal's throne room, and that ain't bad.

Which merc are you using, and how hoave you equipped him?

Professur

Mushroom at large
I'm lvl 26, so the best I'm getting offered is 19 level frost. But he's keep running out in front of me, instead of staying behind

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
hit the "o" key. It'll bring up his inventory. You can provide him armor, helmet, and weapon. Each merc type only handles one weapon type, though. Are you using an Act 3 merc?

Professur

Mushroom at large
Yeah. You mean this asshole's been running around without armour all this time? No wonder he keeps getting whacked.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Here's another trick. You know how hitting the "1" key will make you drink the potion in the #1 slot on your belt? If you hold the SHIFT key and hit "1", your lackey drinks the potion in slot 1. Quick way to force him to mainline healers in the middle of a fight.

greenfreak

This may be a stupid question but can you "level up" a merc according to what you want? Meaning give them more dexterity than strengthy, etc? I haven't seen a way to do that.

I'm still with my cold merc, I beat the Travinical council so easily, I keep starting new games and killing them over and over to get more good stuff. With the "players 2" or "players 3" trick.

Playing with the Paladin is so much easier than the Assassin.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Pally's are definitely nice, but I prefer the crowd pleasing abilities of bowazons or sorcs. Nothing like dealing several hundred points of damage to EVERYONE within range of a frozen orb spell. And then doing it again to clear out the survivors.

Professur

Mushroom at large
I dunno. Holy shock at a few levels provides a nice setup for plowing through a crowd.

How are you guys arming your pallys? I was working my way up through the scepters until I found a matching rare armour and sword combination. Went with that for a while until I found a sweet war hammer.

greenfreak

I hear ya about the scepters, I did the same. I was using a war scepter and then when I got enough gems, switched to a socketed long sword that's about 70-100 damage with all the charms I have in inventory too.

Whenever I see a really sweet war scepter I might want, I'm always about 20000 short. I think they price it that way on purpose to taunt me.

What armor/sword do you have? I love seeing items in green lettering, it's what I live for. :D I have the Arctic set which isn't really useful because you don't really need that much cold resist but when you put two items together you get character-level based defense. So the higher my level goes, the more defense it offers. I think I'm at 140 defense for the armor, 33 defense on the belt, on level 26. Add that to +40 cold resist (helpful against Duriel at least), and +10 to all resistances and it's not that bad. Better than anything I could buy, at least.

I have Sander's Riprap boots (+40% Faster Run/Walk, +100 to Attack Rating, +5 Strength, +10 Dexterity ), Cleglaws Pincers gloves (8-9 Defense, 16 Durability, 25 Str Required, Slows Target by 25%, Knockback), Infernal Cranium (Rarity: 700/1000, 3-5 Defense, 12 Durability, 20% Damage Taken Goes to Mana, All Resistances 10%). I don't wear them all at the same time usually, but swap them out as needed.

Now I want to go home and play. :(

Professur

Mushroom at large
I've got the artic belt, berserker's helm, 2 of Cathan rings, infernal cranium (I think) Isenhart's sword and breast plate. Those last two are the one's mentioned. I've put up the sword for the hammer for the moment.

Unfortunately, the french translation of the names doesn't give you much clue as to what you're looking for to complete a set, so i've printed out the entire section from the battlenet site. But I seriously need a bigger trunk.

greenfreak

I stopped playing my assassin and started playing my paladin. I had already gotten the cube under the assassin so I dropped it, exited the game, re-entered the same game as the paladin and tried to pick it up. But it won't let you have two in your inventory. :shrug:

I wind up equipping two shields and two weapons to use extra space. I don't really switch back and forth but if there's a nice big shield that's going to fetch a lot of gold, I'll equip it just to save some room.

I've also equipped my magic merc with a weapon that he doesn't use to save room. And if I'm in a situation where I might die, I drop all my paladin's gold and go back in under the assassin and pick it up. I do the same with weapons that I don't have the strength/dexterity for yet, while I'm waiting to level up.