xp is pissin me off

alex

I'm starting to wonder if you can even share a whole drive. Maybe you can only share a folder on that drive.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
alex said:

This has been shared for administrative purposes. The permissions cannot be set :(
This somehow seems like the root of the problem to me. Are you logged on to the machine as the administrator? Is there a place to set a p/w as the administrator in network neighborhood?

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
AAAAAAAAAAAA:scared:

I just tried to give my c drive a name on 98 and the screen went black, then Norton came on and reported virus-like activity because something ( me, I guess) was trying to write to the master boot record.
...now I need to break out the upholstry attachment of the carpet shampooer for my chair:nono2:

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
hehehehe.

The drive's name is kept in the MBR. When you changed the MBR, Norton kicked in and did it's job. As for the chair...well, that's your job. :lol:

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Well, I just don't think Norton should go around scaring people like that. :lurk:

I'm gettin a new chair, this ones ugly anyway:lol:

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Pad, You may have to set a new user & password on every computer and make them exactly the same. C$ is not sharable on 98. Once you do that, using My Computer, you can set the entire disk(s) or individual folders for sharing.

Q-we've done this 3 or 4 times...it's your nic, it has to be.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Gonz, pad doesn't have any 98's ...all of them are 2k.

I'll get a new nic, but I betcha that's not it.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
ok, I'll assume 2000 doesn't like C$ either. Also, Explorer/Tools/Folder Options-disable simple file sharing.

alex

You may have to set a new user & password on every computer and make them exactly the same.

I do have an identical user(administrator) and password on all four puters.

Explorer/Tools/Folder Options-disable simple file sharing

I don't see anything resembling this anywhere in that path.