xp is pissin me off

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
as long as you don't unhook from the internet, you're IP is steady. It'll just renew the same one over & over again.

catocom

Machinehead
My cable is doing pretty good right now. (got the 1meg connect.)
I still wish I could get DSL. (damn BellSouth)
I got a business line phone, and they wanted like $80/mo.
So I had a private line put on. They put a damn digital splitter
cover on the box outside, insted of running a new line. Then
the new line wouldn't qualify. So I had it disconnected. The
old line did qualify before, but now it doesn't.
BS really has a bunch of dumbasses working for um in this area.:mad:

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Q said:
I live in a pretty old apartment complex, I don't think DSL will make it in here in my lifetime :(

If I could get dsl in my rip-roaring apt complex from the 1940's in Oakland, you should have no issues. That is really effed up.

...and I miss that dungeon of an apt to this day.

rrfield

I didn't see this anywhere in the long list of posts for this thread....but.... c$ IS a valid share name in NT/2000/XP....but it's a HIDDEN share. You can hide any share by putting $ at the end.

catocom

Machinehead
Cool:cool:

I've kinda wondered about that.
In 2000 I just put that in the address bar, and it does pull right up.;)
I haven't tryied 98 yet.

I don't like the way c$ drive is shared by default.
It says it's a system share..blah blah blah..
Can that share be safely removed?

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Just checked again, to make sure

Verizon Online DSL Is Not Available

Verizon Online DSL is not currently available for (941) 360-xxxx.

DSL is available almost everywhere else in the county, but I think there are 140 units in my complex and if they got more than 3 DSL accounts out of the complex. I'd be amazed..
It was the only place that would allow an 80# dog (and 2 other dogs) So, I didn't have alotta chioce. Other than the DSL thing, I can't complain.

Gonzo

Staff member
I've recieved mailers from Verizon saying my phone line is DSL ready but DSLReoprts says it's not. You may have to call them to make sure Q.

catocom

Machinehead
alex said:
Why would you want a hidden share?

Well, if your brother is on the same network...
and you don't want the hassle of logging in,
it could come in handy.
especially if he doesn't know this.:D

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Gonzo said:
I've recieved mailers from Verizon saying my phone line is DSL ready but DSLReoprts says it's not. You may have to call them to make sure Q.
Yeah, not a bad idea. I'd imagine at some point in time they'd have to upgrade their equipment, just because it's old and shitty.

Does DSL Reports know more about Verizon than Verizon??:confused:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I think DSLreports gets their information from each phone company but not on a frequent basis. Verizon would usually know before DSLR whether your line is DSL ready. Then again they may just be saying that to tease you. I know SBC Ameritech did that to me twice...

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I've been holding out on you :worm: I have a nic in the closet... I made that cable guy give it to me, when he came to hook up my cable for free a year ago.
....but I go back to my original question. HOW COULD MY NIC BE BAD IF IT CAN CONNECT TO THE INTERNET???? .:smash:...answer, it's not bad. XP is bossy and hostile and uncooperative...and plus I did some stuff. I don't know what, but now the shared stuff on xp now has this generic name on it.

I'll check out that site this weekend:)

Gonzo

Staff member
the Raging Q said:
HOW COULD MY NIC BE BAD IF IT CAN CONNECT TO THE INTERNET????

HOW THE HELL DO I KNOW? IT DOESN"T SEE THE LAN DOES IT??????

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Why are we so quick to blame everything on the 98 nic when ...CLEARLY ...it's xp that's being a shitass??:retard:

...and before you say...no, it isn't.

Let me just say: YES...IT FUCKING IS!!!!
........how in the hell does one make it to the programming level at microsoft, in the OS department, no less, without even being able to acknowledge the existance of a fucking router???
It's not like they came out yesterday.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
yes....and I think they're in cahoots with those whiny babies at Comcast who also don't like routers.:mad: