xp is pissin me off

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
ok, here is something interesting:
while snooping around add/remove programs in windows components, I found networking services. 2 things are NOT checked, maybe they should be.
Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client
Simple TCP/IP Services

thoughts?

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
you don't need any of those.

try running the networking wizard, make a floppy when it asks & using the floppy in the 98 machine. matbe you can get lucky & that'll fix it.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO That fucking wizard is the fucking problem. I hate him!! :mad: Thought I already explained that.:eh: I disable the firewall, against xp's better judgement AND snivelling AND BIG YELLOW YIELD SIGN, then when I run the wizard he puts that goddamn firewall back on and xp in it's infinate wisdom says: you do not have any networking hardware in your 98 machine...do not pass go, do not collect $200.00 and under NO circumstances may you share files.:mad::mad::mad:

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
:scared: ack! It's that stupid realtec....remember what a pain in the ass those drivers were last time? (ok, so I was being a tad obtuse when installing them:D...but still:eek2: )

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Go outside, get into your truck, drive to BestBuy/CircuitCity/Office Max-Depot/Staples/Frys/CompUSA or any other office/elevtronics/computer store & buy a damned $14.99 Linksys nic & be done with it:D

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
ON XMAS EVE??? HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND????? THERE ARE ASSAULT MINIVANS OUT THERE!!! PSYCHOTIC SHOPPERS!! UPS TRUCKS TAKING CORNERS ON TWO WHEELS!!! ....and I don't think the nic's are even on sale til after xmas.:D

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
This from our good friends at Micro$oft:rolleyes:
microsoft said:
You should not enable Internet Connection Firewall on virtual private networking (VPN) connections or on client computers because ICF will interfere with file and printer sharing.
I should send them a nice email, thanking them for pointing out the painfully obvious.

Attachments

• tardbang.gif
    tardbang.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 25

alex

One of the tasks I want to work on during the remainder of my recovery is to get my network (4 puters, dsl, router, all win2k pro) tweaked out. They all see each other in network neighborhood but only printers and scheduled tasks show up when I view the puter. I haven't spent alot of time on this, can someone tell me the obvious?

And it didn't help that my dsl modem died while I was in the hospital. Bellsouth sent me another one....got it xmas eve.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
alex said:
They all see each other in network neighborhood but only printers and scheduled tasks show up when I view the puter
This is the case in all 4 puters?

alex

Yes Ma'm

I just tried to share the c drive on puter#2 but for some reason can't browse to the other puters for permissions :retard:

alex

Share this folder

Share name: C$

Comment: Default share

User limit: Maximum allowed

If I click the Permissions button it says:

This has been shared for administrative purposes. The permissions cannot be set :(

I tried to create a new share previously...that's when I couldn't browse to the other puters to select who to share it with.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Does it have an access type?

I have 98 and xp, no experience with 2k:cry2:

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
alex said:

Did I mention I hate networking :mad:
meee too....and apparently I suck at it:cry: but since I don't see anybody jumping in here to help us right now, I'd be delighted to lead you astray pad :D