Whats your ride?

Gato_Solo

Looking into the future, I figure I've got 2 good years left on the Audi and, maybe, three on the Chrysler. Any recommendations for a dependable vehicle? If its an SUV, it has to get at least 22 MPG on the highway. You can also cross off anything smaller than the Audi I'm currently driving. AWD is a plus, and, since the wife will be driving it, it must use a 'slushbox'. It can also be up to, but no more than, three years old. Any suggestions?

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
I will be trading in the 04 cherokee this summer on this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H87biHnOr2M

You're trading in an SUV for a sedan? FOR SHAME! You can't even tell me it's for gas mileage because that car is atleast two steps above mine (G5) and my car gets meh gas mileage.

I want a truck, Ford Ranger FX4...the current gas trend combined with the fact that getting rid of my car wouldn't put any cash in my pocket (value = approx. amount owed) is stopping me though. I believe I shall have to follow my original plan of driving it for 2 or 3 years after it's paid off and in that time saving up what I would be putting into payments for a downpayment on the next one (or maybe I'll marry a guy with a truck before then and convince him he REALLY wants to drive my car on a daily basis so I can drive his truck LOL)

Kruz

Staff member
we still have the 07 Dodge Ram, so two suv's are not needed. and the G8 goes into 4cyl mode on the highway.. :)

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Did GM get MDS right this time? It's been flawless on the dodge, but when Caddy tried it the first time, they mucked it all up.

Hey, Gato - considered a Magnum? AWD is an available feature, and the 5.7 RT gets about 22 on the highway.

Inkara1

You're trading in an SUV for a sedan? FOR SHAME! You can't even tell me it's for gas mileage because that car is atleast two steps above mine (G5) and my car gets meh gas mileage.

The G8 isn't a car you buy for gas mileage. The G8 is a car you buy because it has 361 horsepower.

Gato_Solo

Did GM get MDS right this time? It's been flawless on the dodge, but when Caddy tried it the first time, they mucked it all up.

Hey, Gato - considered a Magnum? AWD is an available feature, and the 5.7 RT gets about 22 on the highway.

I thought they stopped making those...

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
After this model year, I thought. Besides, I figure the huge number of other vehicles using this drive-train should keep parts plentiful.

If you wnat even better gas milage, pick up an SXT model. Forget the plain-jane version - the smaller 6 banger is enemic.

Gato_Solo

After this model year, I thought. Besides, I figure the huge number of other vehicles using this drive-train should keep parts plentiful.

If you wnat even better gas milage, pick up an SXT model. Forget the plain-jane version - the smaller 6 banger is enemic.

Good info. What I forgot to mention, though, is that this vehicle will be used to travel to and from some fishing holes I can't get to in either car I'm driving now. The Audi, because its missing the 'belly pan', thus exposing the alternator to some fairly wet conditions, and the Chrysler because it sits too low. There are roads going to these spots, but they can get muddy...which is why I need AWD.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Magnum may not do then - got a belly pan, but it's pretty low slung. OTOH, it'll get to my mother's place fine, and the final 2 miles of that is over rough dirt roads. They're not bad quite enough to require AWD, but it's helpful when it's wet.

Kruz

Staff member
Good info. What I forgot to mention, though, is that this vehicle will be used to travel to and from some fishing holes I can't get to in either car I'm driving now. The Audi, because its missing the 'belly pan', thus exposing the alternator to some fairly wet conditions, and the Chrysler because it sits too low. There are roads going to these spots, but they can get muddy...which is why I need AWD.

Sounds like something from the Subaru line is what your looking for..

I'm not sure how GM did the MDS (or what ever they are calling it), but you can be sure I'll do my homework on it before I buy.. (along with some nice test drives).

I REALLY REALLY want the new Challenger, but don't want to spend that kind of money right now... and the G8 is the best bang for the buck right now at just under 30k for the GT version.

Gato_Solo

Sounds like something from the Subaru line is what your looking for..

Not really. Even a 'mini'-ute will work as long as the mileage doesn't vary too much from the EPA says. Besides. My aunt drives a Legacy, and is always having problems...

Kruz said:
I'm not sure how GM did the MDS (or what ever they are calling it), but you can be sure I'll do my homework on it before I buy.. (along with some nice test drives).

I think he's talking about the old Cadillac V-8/6/4 from the 1980's that didn't work well...

The breakthrough making the most noise, though, is actually a retread of an innovation that failed a generation ago. Over the last 18 months, Chrysler, Honda and GM have introduced engines in which half the cylinders shut off at cruising speeds, boosting mileage by as much as 12 percent. GM tried shutting down cylinders to save gas 25 years ago, after the last energy crisis. But the infamous Cadillac "8-6-4" engine was a disaster, prone to leaking oil, rattling the steering wheel and breaking down.

Got that little quote from here, but I'm pretty sure you remember that debacle.

Kruz said:
I REALLY REALLY want the new Challenger, but don't want to spend that kind of money right now... and the G8 is the best bang for the buck right now at just under 30k for the GT version.

:eureka: Maybe an older Volvo would do the trick...

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
i have the 06, rides nice and has the goods in it. I get 25.2 MPG so i cant complain.

Inkara1

What happened to the F150?

I have a 2002 Malibu now... same color and hubcaps as this one:

1725.jpg

Inkara1

1071.jpg

The front... if I ever remembered to take a pic of my car when I'm not at work and it's daylight, I'd post my actual car.

Inkara1

Pics of the actual car...

Front:
front.jpg

Back:
back.jpg

Interior:
interior.jpg

Trunk:
trunk.jpg

So the trunk's a little messy right now... I went a little smaller with the subwoofers this time compared to the pair of 12s in the old car. I put those in Lori's car, and I've got a single 10.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
You might want to edit the photo with the plate. A lot of info can be gathered through that.