greenfreak

My new ride, picking it up tomorrow night:

2004 VW Passat GLS 1.8L Turbo, Fresco GREEN with black interior:

passatfd_fresco_front.jpg

fuck yea. :banana:

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yea BABY. Looking good greenie. see i told ya it was a nice one to get :)

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
my ride is this 98 olds bravada.

Attachments

• bravada.jpg
    bravada.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 39

Inkara1

Noite: Chrysler axed the Eagle Brand after 1997.

Greenie: So, no Jetta after all, huh? What prompted you to step up a size?

greenfreak

Thanks Sammy. I was right, the thought grew on me the longer I thought about it. And when I saw it last night, I kinda fell in love with the body style.

Inky, if you didn't believe I was a greenfreak before, you will now. The reason I went from Jetta to Passat is because they couldn't get me the Jetta GLS Turbo in green. Yes, that's right. I paid more money because I gotta have that green.

Although the Passat is a more upscale model with more standard features, it's not that much more expensive. The insurance turned out to be $150. less than the Jetta per six month policy too, if you can believe it. There's literally no safety feature that the insurance company offers a discount for that I don't have. I even have Lojack installed and VIN etching on the windows.

Next is renewing the defensive driving to bring down the premiums even more.

Noite, they have been changing the style of the Passat little by little each year but when you look at the nose of the Jetta side by side with the Passat, you can really see the difference. I liked the Jetta's snub nose before but the Passat looks sleeker to me. Especially in that color. Which they only made for a limited number of months so the chances of seeing a car exactly like mine is pretty slim.

Three more hours and I get to pick up my new baby. :cool:

Inkara1

I'm not surprised the insurance is lower. How many teens do you see driving Passats, expecially compared to the number you see driving Jettas? That's a big factor in accident rates, which I'm betting are lower for the Passat because it's usually owned and driven by older, more experienced drivers, many with kids, than the Jetta.

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
I'm not surprised the insurance is lower. How many teens do you see driving Passats, expecially compared to the number you see driving Jettas? That's a big factor in accident rates, which I'm betting are lower for the Passat because it's usually owned and driven by older, more experienced drivers, many with kids, than the Jetta.

I dunno what kind of cracked out world you live in...but here the insurance is based on the car AND drivers. The number of teens driving a certain type of car isn't gonna matter...if you're gonna have teens driving your car they have to be on the insurance specifically so you'll pay more...if you're not gonna have teens driving it then it'll be less. The difference between the insurance on different cars is based on power, sporty-ness, saftey features installed, the value of the car and all it's little extras, etc.

ImRaptor

Nixy said:
I dunno what kind of cracked out world you live in...but here the insurance is based on the car AND drivers. The number of teens driving a certain type of car isn't gonna matter...if you're gonna have teens driving your car they have to be on the insurance specifically so you'll pay more...if you're not gonna have teens driving it then it'll be less. The difference between the insurance on different cars is based on power, sporty-ness, saftey features installed, the value of the car and all it's little extras, etc.

In their defense, not all places calculate insurance based on the driver and the car type.
Here for instance, the insurance I pay on my car is the same for everyone that owns a 1992 Integra. They don't care who the driver is, just the make of the car.

greenfreak

I think what it comes down to is in America, the insurance companies will screw you any way possible. Credit reports, driving record, the town you live in, the amount of money it would take to fix your car should it get damaged, drivers in your household who don't have their own insurance, male/female, age, how many years you've been driving, how many years you've had insurance under your own name; not your parent's name... Whatever it takes to raise the limit.

This is what I was talking about with the cars... Which do you think looks nicer? Of course I'm going to say the Passat but before I seriously looked at it, I was in love with the Jetta:

jetta_2004_spicered.jpg

2004 Jetta ^^

passatfd_fresco_front.jpg

2004 Passat ^^

I like the headlights better too.

Inkara1

Nixy said:

I live in a cracked-out world with insurance companies that look at accident rates for a particular model, regardless of who's driving it. If more Jettas per thousand registered are crashed than Passats per thousand registered, then the insurance company will consider it less risky to insure a Passat than a Jetta, even with all else being equal.

Now, where teens come into this is that Jettas are pretty popular with younger people, while Passats tend to be more popular with people who have a few years on them. Therefore, you're a lot more likely to see someone attempting crazy driving maneuvers in a Jetta than a Passat. Those maneuvers lead to accidents.

I can't find specific numbers right now, but do I make sense now?

greenfreak

While I was looking at reviews months ago for the Jetta, I found more than once it was referred to as "the poor man's Audi". :D

There have been many times that I've seen a Jetta out of the corner of my eye and it was really an Audi. You usually see them in silver.

greenfreak

Hell yea. :D

Took a couple of road trips this weekend to break it in... Out to a seaside village waaaay out east on the island, to a winery, to this pie stand everyone always talks about (the strawberry rhubarb was amazing). Then yesterday I went out to my sister's house to get Sasser off her pc and then hung out with my parents for the rest of the day. I'm already over the 500 mile mark, haven't had it a week yet. :)

greenfreak

Not only did I take pie, two days ago I loaded up four bags of mulch!!

For the pie, I had a cardboard box lined with paper to put the pies in and for the mulch, I lined the trunk with an old blanket. A green blanket of course. :D