Whats your ride?

greenfreak

Best of both worlds... Automatic with "tiptronic" which basically means I can drive it like a stick if I want, no clutch. The only time I should ever need that is in snow, if then. But it's nice to know the option is there. :)

Spot

greenfreak said:
Automatic with "tiptronic" which basically means I can drive it like a stick if I want, no clutch. The only time I should ever need that is in snow, if then.

it'll work wonders on the twisty sections of the road too.

Gato_Solo

Noite Escura said:
Can you 'bump' start it if you need?

You're joking, right? You never, ever bump start a modern car. Especially an automatic (which is what the 'tiptronic' is). Plays havoc with the electronics. Even standards can develope problems after bump starting... :eek:

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Well, if the start engine fails me and I'm on a hurry, you can bet I'm gonna take the risks, and I appreciate having the option to do so...

Professur

Mushroom at large
Bump starting an automatic is a little tough. You need to get it up to 40 mph usually, to lock up the torque converter. Seems jumper cables might be easier.

greenfreak

I never learned how to do that, 'bump' start a car. I had a stick for 6 years and never needed to, so I never learned how. When I got it, it was only 3 months old.

Maybe I'm weird this way, but I think it's unnatural to have that tiptronic technology in an automatic. I would be concerned that I might cause damage if I use it too much or incorrectly. I know it's not a new technology and have never heard of causing problems with the car by using it, but I think I would only use it in extreme situations.

I just know if I ever do use it in winter, my left foot is going to be pounding the floor, looking for the clutch. ;)

Inkara1

Kinda similar to when I drive one of my parents' cars, when I reach between the seats to let off the E-brake... and then remember I have to pull a handle under the dashboard. Or after I've been driving that '62 Fairlane for a while, my foot keeps pounding the floor looking for the headlight dimmer switch.

Professur

Mushroom at large
Inkara1 said:
...unless the battery's fine but the starter motor or solenoid aren't.

Dead easy. Smack it with a hammer. Works for the first few times, enough to get you outta a jam. Most times when a starter won't work, it's because the brushes are sitting on a burned part of the commutator. The jar from being hit usually manages to get you a better connection.

Inkara1

Professur said:
Dead easy. Smack it with a hammer. Works for the first few times, enough to get you outta a jam. Most times when a starter won't work, it's because the brushes are sitting on a burned part of the commutator. The jar from being hit usually manages to get you a better connection.

That trick actually came in handy once. I was working outside at Home Depot and someone couldn't get his Crown Victoria started. I hit the starter a few times with a hammer and it started up, so I told the guy it was only a temporary fix and it would probably happen again so he needs to get it replaced.

Professur

Mushroom at large
One way or another, he did. Glad that tip worked out for ya. Makes you feel clever as hell, doesn't it? Shame most of the new cars have the starter tucked up under the flammin fuel injection where you can't get a swing at it.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
I sold my VW and got a Chevrolet Corsa Sedan 1.8 some months ago it looks like this pic, but mine is Dark Grey:

Attachments

• corsa-sedan.jpg
    corsa-sedan.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 24

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Are you asking me or Prof? Mine is brand new. I would prefer a used car, but the VW had engine problems that would require a truckload of money to solve. Selling it to a third person would probably get me headaches. I got a sweet deal(considering the situation) on a GM shop involving my former car. As an expert evaluated the car and gave the OK, I transfered to them the engine problem.
The diference in price I got for selling it to a dealer instead of a person, was the same I would have to pay to fix the engine, so I suppose it's all cool.