TURN YOUR TV ON NOW!!

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
I think Bush shouldn't have made threats of retalliation. There are still 4 or 5 planes hijacked in the air I heard. I know Bush is insane enough to nuke some place in revenge. But I'm praying not. Don't forget that Afeganistan is close enough from China, India and Pakistan, all of them have nuclear weapons.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Los Angeles' federal law enforcement agencies went on high alert this morning, in response to the terrorist airplane crashes in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania, and the FBI mobilized its special counter-terrorism squad and agents from its National Security Division.

So far, the FBI knows of no specific attacks or threats in Los Angeles, sources said.

Airports across California were closed, as were notable landmarks were kept closed, including the Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles and the city's Library Tower in downtown.

rest of story, if you can get in http://latimes.com/news/local/la-091101worldtrade.story

Gonzo

Staff member
from the Chicago Sun-Times

Attachments

• tradecenterplane-1-small.jpg
    tradecenterplane-1-small.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 150

Gonzo

Staff member
From the Ha'Aretz English edition Israeli Newspaper

Palestinians in West Bank celebrate attacks on U.S.

By Amos Harel, Ha'aretz Correspondent and Agencies

Palestinians across the West Bank on Tuesday celebrated the series of aircraft attacks on New York and Washington. There were scenes of celebration in the West Bank cities of Nablus, Tul Karm, Bethlehem and the Balata refugee camp.

While Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat condemned the attacks which levelled the twin towers of the World Trade Center in New
York City and struck the Pentagon in Washington, hundreds of Palestinians distributed sweets in Nablus.

"I feel I am in a dream. I never believed that one day the United States would come to pay a price for its support to Israel," said Mustafa, a 24-year-old Palestinian gunman.

Several dozen Palestinian youths gathered in East Jerusalem to celebrate as well, honking out wedding tunes on their car horns. "We are so happy that America was hit. America is against us in supporting Israel," Suleiman, one of the demonstrators, said.

In Nablus, motorists honked their horns and gunmen fired into the air from assault rifles to cheer on the attacks which unfolded in the space of a few hours.

Gonzo

Staff member
also from the CHISunTImes

Chicago landmark buildings evacuated
The Sears Tower was evacuated, employees at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange were told to leave the building and the police department was on heightened alert Tuesday morning after massive attacks on the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon in Washington.
Security was beefed up at the Sears Tower following news of the attack in New York, and then workers were ordered out of the building.

"Usually, the building is so full of activity, and now there's no one in the hallways. It's creepy," said Cathy Grable, a 31-year-old interior designer who was leaving the building.

Down the block at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange traders were streaming out of the building.

Jeff Friedlieb, 19, a runner at the Merc, said people had been evacuated from the trading floor. "People were running around like maniacs," he said. "Everybody's talking about what's going to happen."

Management at the John Hancock Center evacuated that building as well after being advised to do so by the mayor's office.

Chicago Police Department spokesman Pat Camden said police were in a "heightened condition" but refused to say what that meant.

Two planes crashed into the upper floors of both World Trade Center towers minutes apart Tuesday in what the President Bush said was an apparent terrorist attack. The crashes blasted fiery, gaping holes in the 110-story buildings. There was no immediate word on deaths or injuries.

An aircraft then crashed near the Pentagon, and the Capitol and White House were evacuated after bomb threats.

S

s4

Thank God you are safe Huge!

I think that no amount of words can make any difference right now. I believe that more information about who was behind it is necessary to even have some understanding of this. Chaos is all the exists, and rational thought about the matter cannot be comptemplated. I am outraged and very sad about the loss of lives. I have been watching all morning and at times felt very emotional. I emphasize the need to remain calm! Not that it matters what I have to say. I would urge everyone to pray.

S

s4

This thread should stay in the SE forum in my opinion because it is far too important to move around.

Stop Laughing

it isn't that funny!
Staff member
I'm shocked and horrified. If they were to attack another civilian target, the Sears Tower is a likely choice now. Everything's in a sort of orderly chaos, everything's under alert and many things are shut down, but it's pretty calm and orderly, no riots or stampeding or anything like that. All over campus they put up TVs in the hallways tuned to various news channels and crowds were around each one. It's also kind of eerie outside because I live very close to O'Hare airport and there's usually planes flying around all the time, and now it's clear and quiet skies, very creepy. All museums, monuments, skyscrapers, government buildings, and major universities are closed today.

Also, on a side note that's insignificant compared to what's happened, many sporting events have been cancelled today and the next few days, article found here. :(

Outlaw69

Banned
My sympathies go out to the families and relatives of the victims of this ****ing horrible cowardly terrorist act. I am glad to see you are okay Huge. Ontarioans are sending blood as fast as we can, I have watched CNN all day long...i even saw it live when the buildings collapsed... it doesn't seem real :(

Gonzo

Staff member
The "7WTC" bldg has just collapsed, with a major threat to Merrill Lynch & American Express bldgs nearby of doing the same

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Don't think there's much of a doubt. This is the US saying, "Give us Bin Laden or face some more."

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
A Pennsylvania 911 operator just got a cell phone call from people trapped in the rubble of the Trade Center.

S

s4

The biggest concern I have is that these people have not been found. How can the country get back to normal if they are still on the loose?

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Well the phones finally came back on this afternoon and now I can post again. Yesterday I was deeply shocked at what I finally saw on the news; now today I am angry. Just effing nuke Palestine et al and let God sort em out. :mad:

You'll be seeing a lot of my building today if you haven't all ready; mine is 4WFC; that structure that collapsed in the roadway is the north bridge over the roadway (you can see the south bridge further up the street. Needless to say I won't be going to work or school anytime in the near future (if ever again there).

I'm glad I got out of there before the whole thing came down; there's also a Marriott hotel that I'm sure was severely damage and might fall down later.