Otc 404

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
I thought someone just picked up the domain costs for both sites? Who it was I can't remember because I can't get to OTC to read the thread...

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Just issued a transfer for otcentral.com from Dotster to Godaddy, hope it works, cause Godaddy is about 50% as expensive

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Had to renew otcentral.com for one year from Dotster first ($15.45), then I could complete the transfer to Godaddy. With Godaddy, I set it up for a two year extension along with the transfer, which cost $14.38 total (The transfer with a free 1 year extension was $6.99, the discounted extra year was $6.99, and the ICANN fees were 20 cents each). If my calculations are correct, this puts its next expiration at some time around 2063.

When I get my next paycheck, I'm going to do the same to xibase.com and racing-forums.com, except they don't need renewed by dotster.com (thanks Gonz), so it will just be $28.76 to get them both on godaddy.com with an extra 2 years

MrBishop

Felix Culpa
It's been a while, but that was one hell of a surprise when I tried going there today!

:(

Glad to hear that she's still alive..though temporarily comatose.

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
So OTC is set up for 3 years now? The one you bought from Dotster and the 2 from GoDaddy? All for $30? That's a down right bargain! Lemme know how to get the $$ to ya.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
So OTC is set up for 3 years now? The one you bought from Dotster and the 2 from GoDaddy? All for $30? That's a down right bargain! Lemme know how to get the $$ to ya.

me too!

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, theoretically we'll all be old and grey before the domain there expires again. Right now I'm waiting on the transfer to initiate, I got a confirmation email from Dotster that says do nothing and the transfer will go through in the next 72 hours, so basically right now it's a waiting game.

If you are itching for your fix now and are slightly advanced at Windows, you can go to your Windows folder, then the System32 folder, then Drivers, then etc, and right click HOSTS (it's an extension-less filename) and Open With... any text editor like Notepad

For me, that'd be C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\HOSTS

Stick this line at the bottom:

Keep in mind to remove that line later on when the domain is working again (you can try by going to just otcentral.com without the www, and seeing if it directs you to the right site or not)

I don't anticipate the IP changing very often since we are on an owned server now (co-owned by me and Andrew Townsend, since we both run active games on it), but you never know, it's best to not use the HOSTS trick when the site is working fine.

If you want to help me out monetarily, you can donate via paypal to [email protected] (don't email me there though) or snail-mail it to me. I'll give you my snail mail addy if you PM or get me on MSN messenger (flurffmeister at coldmail.com, except hot not cold... gotta keep the spammers at bay)

TexasRaceLady

Thanks, fury, for activating me here.

OTC is still not being found by hughesnet, so I'll just hang my hat and twiddle my thumbs.

A.B.Normal

If you are itching for your fix now and are slightly advanced at Windows, you can go to your Windows folder, then the System32 folder, then Drivers, then etc, and right click HOSTS (it's an extension-less filename) and Open With... any text editor like Notepad

Yep that worked.:jump:

if you want to help me out monetarily, you can donate via paypal to [email protected]

*and done

TexasRaceLady

Yep, theoretically we'll all be old and grey before the domain there expires again. Right now I'm waiting on the transfer to initiate, I got a confirmation email from Dotster that says do nothing and the transfer will go through in the next 72 hours, so basically right now it's a waiting game.

Keep in mind to remove that line later on when the domain is working again (you can try by going to just otcentral.com without the www, and seeing if it directs you to the right site or not)

Too rich for my tech-challenged brain. You may as well be speaking Monogolian. I'll just wait.

A.B.Normal

Too rich for my tech-challenged brain. You may as well be speaking Monogolian. I'll just wait.

chicken01.gif

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
I might do that trick thing...but the last time I did it I forgot to undo it and then when the IP chanegd I chouldn't get to the site...thankfull fury was there to save me *humps fury's legs*

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
I did it, if I come here sometime in the future whining about not being able to get onto OTC someone remind me...k?

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
If you want to help me out monetarily, you can donate via paypal to [email protected] (don't email me there though) or snail-mail it to me. I'll give you my snail mail addy if you PM or get me on MSN messenger (flurffmeister at coldmail.com, except hot not cold... gotta keep the spammers at bay)

Done.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Holy shit

/me humps your leg

/me humps everyone's leg

/me has a leg humping orgy

I love everyone here. ^_^