just... damn

unclehobart

this is my special title
I ran a full bore cleaning program to strip out the unfettered loose ends of programs, the registry, temp files, useless repetition and the like ... and forgot to uncheck the Outlook Express box. eek. Now all 285 stored emails there just went to the great cyber graveyard in the sky. I've lost quite a few phone numbers, addys, and god knows what else.... so those of you who are used to hearing from me probably won't anymore until I am able to build up my basline info again.

alex

Don't feel alone. During my transition from Win2k to XP pro, the Outlook archive file I exported to my zip disk developed a hiccup and I lost all my contacts info when I imported it back. Fortunately all my emails are there.

tommyj27

teh ho-bot
don't you windows folks backup your stuff with any any regularity? well, i suppose i never did and i lost things every time i reloaded windows, the address book and email were frequently forgotten.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I back up my super important stuff, like DBZ, downloads, and emails. For emails and addies it's as simple as copying Outlook.pst over to a CD.

tommyj27

teh ho-bot
windows is so obfuscated and difficult to pick through i find it hard to back things up. for my backups i just backup /home for all my personal settings and crap, other folders get backed up whenever (before) i make a change in them.

unclehobart

this is my special title
ok... it works fine. Now I just know that people are just ignoring my emails out of hand... *sigh*. I would have liked it better if it were just broken.

*sarcastic tone*

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
That's why I keep all my stuff on WebMail for now. I've just lost a HD that would have wiped out all my mail and phone contacts. Fortunately I saved my resume on my Virtual drive some weeks ago...

Acid

stud
I don't back anything up. I know where I can get most of it again, so it doesn't bother me.

But my IBM crashing does :(

unclehobart

this is my special title
For me, it was a fast database of names, numbers, site passwords, reminders for birthdays ... bla bla... your basic rolodex.