Home Depot

kuulani

Home Depot is planning on opening a store in Hilo (first Starbucks, then Jamba Juice ... I can't take all this excitement) ;)

Anywho, the point of my thread is this ... my mother-in-law is a relatively well-known person in our community, having received many awards from the mayor, a couple of governors, and even the President himself. A representative from HD just called my mother-in-law to tell her that if she sends people to the lot where they are planning to build to flag the native trees, they will cut those trees for us. Since they are planning to bulldoze the whole lot, which was once a part of our native forest, they want to at least give us the option to use the trees in a productive manner.

Of course, this comes in handy because there are a lot of things we could do with all that native wood!! Now wasn't that thoughtful of them :D

Inkara1

Hmm... methinks I should see about putting in a transfer request... I somehow think I'd like pushing carts at that Home Depot a lot more than at this one.

kuulani

Woohoo ... so we went to flag the trees on Friday/Saturday. The contractor was there to meet us ... he says they'll even cut the trees down and haul them to our house in a few weeks. :D

unclehobart

this is my special title
Was the place blessed?... or does such a thing have to wait for the completion of construction first?

How many trees and of what type are we talking about here?

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
hey ku'u - didja flag one for Brada?

Maybe I shoulda thought of flagging one for use as a Christmas tree this year .. they're soooo exphreakingspensive!

kuulani

I didn't flag one specifically for Brada ... what we did was flag every single tree worth saving - that should be enough for everybody. 'Cause we did mention that Brada, Kihei, and Kamala should get a log since they're available :D

The trees were ohia and lama.

ohia. Metrosideros polymorpha.
lama. Diospyros, an endemic ebony.