Bill Would Ban Racial Mascots

S

s4

[QUOTEURL=http://www.mycfnow.com/sh/news/california/stories/news-california-134387320020402-130416.html]SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The controversy over some school mascots may come to an end if a new law is approved in California.

Names like Redskins, Braves, Indians and Apaches have been called discriminatory by Native American groups and others.

Assemblywoman Jackie Goldberg, D-Los Angeles, has introduced a bill that would ban racial mascots at all California public schools.[/QUOTEURL]

I don't think these names are all that bad. In fact, I think names like "Braves" or "Indians" honor people rather than defame them.

flavio

superfly
Staff member
Hell I don't know what to think about that. It seems completely ridiculous but if we had teams called the Asians, Whiteys, or Negros it would be kinda awkward.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Outside of Redskins what is the problem. There is nothing derogatory in Brave(s) nor Warriors-which is NOT an American Indian lock-ever hear the term applied to ancient battlers?

flavio

superfly
Staff member
So you would be ok with Asians or Negros as a team? not derogatory either really.

Gato_Solo

I think it's sad. As for Asian nicknames for teams, I haven't heard of any. Negro names were ALWAYS well hidden, so I haven't heard of those nicks either. Hell...I don't even like the nickname 'Fighting Whities'. It's funny, yes, but also very tragic that someone would have to resort to such measures to make a point.