Abu Abbas captured in Iraq

unclehobart

this is my special title
Palestine fugitive found in Baghdad

A wanted Palestinian fugitive, Abu Abbas, has been detained by US forces in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad.

He led the Palestinian Liberation Front (PLF), which hijacked a cruise ship, the Achille Lauro, in 1985.

During the hijack, an elderly American passenger was killed.

A BBC correspondent in Washington says the US will regard his capture as an important victory in the war on terrorism, as well as something of a vindication of the charge that the regime of Saddam Hussein was connected to terrorist groups.

Abu Abbas, also known as Mohammed Abbas, had been mentioned by President George W Bush as an example of the kind of figure given refuge by the former regime of Saddam Hussein.

A number of Abbas's associates were also detained during raids at several sites in Baghdad, US officials said.

Convicted in absentia

The PLF carried out the attack on the Italian liner to demand the release of 50 Palestinian prisoners being held in Israel.

The Achille Lauro was seized while sailing between the Egyptian cities of Alexandria and Port Said.

The gunmen shot dead a disabled American tourist, 69 year-old Leon Klinghoffer, whose body was thrown overboard in his wheelchair.

After three days, Egypt gave free passage to the hijackers in exchange for the rest of the hostages - many of them Americans.

But the plane carrying the hijackers to Tunisia was intercepted by US Navy jets and forced to land in Italy.

Four men were sentenced to long prison terms, but Abu Abbas was freed by the Italian authorities, who said they insufficient evidence to detain.

However, he was later convicted in absentia of masterminding the hijackings and received five life sentences.

He has reportedly spent much of the past 17 years in Iraq.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2951615.stm

I thought this guy was long gone. Wow.

unclehobart

this is my special title
Better to report that his hair gel caught on fire from the powerful heat of the sun and that 15 MPs tried in vain to put him out with a few hundred billy club strikes.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
way it sounds italy will end up with him. The US signed off on him a few years back.