Greatest album ever made

MoodyBlue

I'll think of something witty later
I don't think any Greatest Hits album could be concidered one of the greatest albums of all time. I personally blame the greatest hits genre of music marketing for killing the album format. I don't think many kids or young adult'd today appreciate the "deep cut" joy one gains from listening to an ALBUM. The song the radio.. err.. MTV (Yuk!) doesn't play.

It seemed that the late 60's and early 70's produced the lion-share of concept albums in which artists eperimented with new formats and styles. Record companies would not cut an artist for one poor selling album. How many copies of Their Satanic Majesties request did the Stones sell? I have no idea, but I do know it was not a comercial sucess, nor did it produce any radio friendly singles. But, it's a great ALBUM.

Today, all anyone cares about is the single. Albums showcase a single and some photographs. Then there is the bastard demon child of the A&R producer... The Re-Mix. No comment. :lurk:

S

s4

I don't know about that Stones album, but I think if there was a single, it would have been "She's a Rainbow" (think i got the right record from memory). That is an all time classic song. The only thing that I didn't particularly care about the Stones in 60's was their fascination with Satan in songs like "Sympathy for the Devil" (Beggars Banquet) and "Dancing with Mr. D" (early 70's Ghoats Head Soup). I'm not a Stone's expert but I've listened to them for 30+ years.

I agree with MoodyBlue about cd's not being sold for the whole record. The only thing people are concerned about these days is making singles, although there are some people from the old days like Bob Dylan that have a recording contract no matter what they put on their record. Some bands and individuals can still put out full albums not just something that can go top 40. However, most of these people are icons and legends, not just anyone can get a record company to let them do it their way.

br0ck

If you want to talk about a album as a whole, this has to be it:

Phish - Rift

Rift.jpg

Everyone of these songs corrospond with an item in the cd sleave/booket.

1. Rift
2. Fast Enough For You
3. Lengthwise
4. Maze
5. Sparkle
6. Horn
7. The Wedge
8. My Friend, My Friend
9. Weigh
10. All Things Reconsidered
11. Mound
12. It's Ice
13. Lengthwise
14. The Horse
15. Silent In The Morning

From the first "Lengthwise" to the last "Lengthwise" is a dream....before is going to bed, and after the last one is when he wakes up in the morning.

The only song that is not any part of the cd sleave is "The Horse". But that is shown on the very next album "Hoist".

Hoist.jpg

Nihilistic

Close the world, txEn eht nepO
Tool is great, i also like system and linkin parks hybrid theory, there original, but i have to say

Dimmu Borgir- black metal at its best!!

Attachments

• dimmuborgir1.jpg
    dimmuborgir1.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 15