Weekly tweaking tips

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
Okay so we gotta liven this place up a bit.. :)

So I'm gonna start posting various tweaks to do with Windows.. well more like customisations actaully - leave things like mem tweaks to the HW section.

So first up, one most of you probably know already. When you open the System option in the Control Panel, you get a list of your system specs, & if it's an OEM machine, it'll say "Manufactured & supported by:" & then a small image of your OEM.
This image is located at c:\windows\system\oemlogo.bmp. You can take your own bmp (resize it so it fits of course) & customise your system panel. :)

I'm working on getting it to display other bits & pieces in here too.. see how we get on. :)

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
Heh I also have a feeling that it mnight not work if the version of Windows you're using wasn't set up as OEM during the initial install.. I'm sure there'll be some way of activiting it but I'll have to have a look around. :)

glussier

a13antichrist tweak will even work in winnt4 and win2k. Create an c:\windows\system\oemlogo.bmp file and it will display on the property sheet. You can also make your window version (win9x, me, nt4 and win2k) by creating oeminfo.ini file and storing it in windows\system (win9x/me) winnt\system32 (winnt/win2k), it's content should be similar to the following:

[General]
Manufacturer=Enter the Company Name Here
Model=Enter the Computer Model Name Here

[Support Information]
Line1=first line of support information
Line2=second line
Line3=third line
Line4=fourth line

The first 2 lines will show above the processor description, and a new contact support button will be created giving you access to the information stored in the last 4 lines. (Note that the last section doesn't have to be 4 lines it can be any number of lines (1 and up) as long as the line number precedes the equal sign.