Twilight Zone Catch 22

technoclod

Win98, IE5,Celeron 500mhz processor, does anyone have a clue as to what will cause my system to reboot when I attempt to connect to my ISP. My machine will usually reboot twice and still not connect to tthe internet by I did manage a connection with another browser. Any ideas guys?, I'm all ears. Technoclod

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tested the modem in a different computer? Tested another modem in your computer? What do you mean when you say you managed a connection with another browser? You started up, for instance, Netscape and was able to connect?

Need more info before digging in further.

S

s4

I would try upgrading to IE 6. You can download it for free from download.com or microsoft.com. It seems like you don't have anything to loose by giving it a try. The only thing is that IE 6 doesn't have java support built in but a patch can be downloaded to make it run java.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
What about the DUN updates from Microsoft? Try installing the update for your version of Windows 98. I think the one for 98SE is 1.4 now. Also, try uninstalling DUN, rebooting, then reinstall DUN and reboot. Hope this helps.

technoclod

Originally posted by fury
Have you tested the modem in a different computer? Tested another modem in your computer? What do you mean when you say you managed a connection with another browser? You started up, for instance, Netscape and was able to connect?

Need more info before digging in further.

I managed to connect by choosing the browser from the desktop which brings up the dial-up connection and then connecting as opposed to choosing the ISP first which automatically engages IE5, the default browser

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Oh... It sounds like your ISP software may be buggy in this case.