suggestions for room name

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
so, I'm moving into my new lab today .. the name of the building is Hale Kua (having to do with the anvil used to pound kapa) and I really want to name my room. Someone suggested "Lumi Na" but the meaning of "lumina" in English is just too gross ...

1. Anatomy. The inner open space or cavity of a tubular organ, as of a blood vessel or an intestine.
2. Abbr. lm Physics. The unit of luminous flux in the International System, equal to the amount of light given out through a solid angle by a source of one candela intensity radiating equally in all directions. See table at measurement.
3. Botany. The cavity bounded by a plant cell wall.

Anyone got any ideas?

greenfreak

How about "Obey the rules of the lab or face the wrath of NA"? I bet it sounds really nice when you translate it to Hawai'ian. :D

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
WOOHOO!!!!! I like that .. wonder if it'll fit above the door *finger to chin in thought*

greenfreak

Oooh, while looking for a Hawaiian-English translation website, I found one that converts English names to Hawaiian names.

Trish -- Like

Tricia -- Lika

Patricia -- Pakelekia

How do you pronounce those? I like, I like. :D

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
Like = Lee-Kay

Lika = Lee-kah

Pakelekia = Pah-kay-lay-kee-ah

actually, those are Hawaiianized versions of your name. It's much more correct to get the meaning of your name then translate that to Hawaiian. What does Patricia mean?

by the way = 'Oma'o is green :D

kuulani

i'e kuku - tapa beater ... emphasis on the "beater" part :D

...then as a decorating motif, you can have i'e kuku all around the room - readily available to throw at a kid if they're not listening :D

Inkara1

nalani said:
so, I'm moving into my new lab today .. the name of the building is Hale Kua (having to do with the anvil used to pound kapa) and I really want to name my room. Someone suggested "Lumi Na" but the meaning of "lumina" in English is just too gross ...

1. Anatomy. The inner open space or cavity of a tubular organ, as of a blood vessel or an intestine.
2. Abbr. lm Physics. The unit of luminous flux in the International System, equal to the amount of light given out through a solid angle by a source of one candela intensity radiating equally in all directions. See table at measurement.
3. Botany. The cavity bounded by a plant cell wall.

Anyone got any ideas?

This makes me glad I drive a Dodge Neon instead of a Chevy Lumina.

greenfreak

nalani said:
Pakelekia = Pah-kay-lay-kee-ah

actually, those are Hawaiianized versions of your name. It's much more correct to get the meaning of your name then translate that to Hawaiian. What does Patricia mean?

by the way = 'Oma'o is green :D

I like Pakelekia best. :)

My name is boring, it doesn't mean much. It's just the feminine form of Patrick and it's an Irish name primarily. I was named after a good family friend who was named after the Patrick they're describing here:

PATRICK m Irish, English, French, German
Pronounced: PAT-rik (English), pat-REEK (French)
From the Roman name Patricius, which meant "nobleman" in Latin. A 5th-century saint, the patron saint of Ireland, adopted this name (his birth name was Sucat). During his youth he was captured by Irish raiders and enslaved, but after six years of servitude he escaped to his home in Britain. Eventually he became a bishop and went back to Ireland as a missionary, where he succeeded in Christianizing the entire country.

BORING! I'll just stick with Pakelekia and 'Oma'o. :D

greenfreak

kuulani said:
i'e kuku - tapa beater ... emphasis on the "beater" part :D

...then as a decorating motif, you can have i'e kuku all around the room - readily available to throw at a kid if they're not listening :D

What's tapa and what did it ever do to you? :D

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Let's see I received an e-mail these days with name meanings, hmmmm:
Patricia = of the Fatherland, noblewoman
I hope the translation to english made some sense...

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
I like the name Keali'i .. I like it a lot *nods* .. yes .. I shall call you Keali'i .. and you will be mine .. and you will be my Keali'i ...

by the way - that's my eldest child's name ;)

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
oohh .. me and you are on the same wave length .. i was thinking like "Tiki Lounge" :D

I'm such a dork .. I brought a candle I can never light and incense that I can never light .. but I really wish I could .. coulda used it today after this day from hell ..

Inkara1

I'd suggest the "Tiki Tiki Tiki Room" if it didn't bother me so much that I actually get the reference.