SL@SL!

Stop Laughing

it isn't that funny!
Staff member
Name: Keith Cameron Rosone
Sex: Not often enough :(
Location: The now quiet Schiller Park IL, near O'Hare Intl. Airport :( :mad:

I have some rather unusual hobbies. Let's see, where should I begin? First of all, I'm an umpire for Little League which pays pretty well for the time spent on it, but there's not many hours per week to do it (each game's only 1-2 hours, only about 3-4 games a week, only during early summer). I help out a lot with the local junior bowling league and the tournaments around here; my mother is a zone director for the national Coca-Cola tournament that I usually compile the statistics for (sorry fury, I gotta go with Coke :p I sort of work a little for them), as well as bowl in those leagues and tournaments, my average has dropped to about 140 from 160 a couple of years ago. Lastly, I write one gimmick road rallye every year, which I started 9 years ago, well before I could drive. Gimmick rallyes are very challenging, and are not by any means races. Basically, you're given two types of instructions, Generals and Routes, which you must follow the entire course, making sure to catch everything we could throw your way. They are very mind boggling, even MENSA members have troubles their first few times out. :cool:

My favorite moments from each of them would have to be:

Umpiring: Calling the unassisted triple play, I didn't even realize it until I found myself calling "out" 3 times.

Bowling: Witnessing a 300 game last year on the pair of lanes next to me. Watching someone go into their 10th frame with a perfect game going is heart-wrenching, and I'm so glad he pulled it off, the 8 pin almost stayed up on his last shot. His average was only 157, too, he was 143 pins over average in one game.

Rallying: I'll attempt to explain my favorite gimmick from my very first rallye, Field of Dweebs (baseball theme, based on a movie which I don't think I have to name), way back when I was still in 6th grade:

Generals-
Spacing is irrelevant on signs.
RIG=LEF.
You must obey any sign which reads "All Traffic Must".
General Instructions have higher precedence than Routes.

Route Instructions-
16. Left on Touhy AND/OR Left on Landmeier.
17. Left on Lively AND/OR Left on Chase.

First, you came up to Touhy, so you did the first part of 16 there by going left on it. At the intersection ahead you read a sign that said:

Code:
ALL TRAFFIC
 MUST TURN
   RIG T

Replace the RIG with the LEF and take out the space inbetween the G and the T, and it reads ALL TRAFFIC MUST TURN LEFT. Of course, at that intersection a left turn was impossible so you were forced right, but every intersection after that you had to turn left by a General Instruction, and not do the Routes Left on Landmeier, Lively, and Chase. You then hit a checkpoint which corrected it and saw how you marked it to see what you did there and whether you were correct or not. Only one car was. :cool: :)

BTW, my road rallye club, Brand X, has a site at brandxrallyeteam.com and it might explain a little better how to figure some gimmicks out. Of course, not all of them are as hard as this one, but the easy ones can still fool a lot of people. Unfortunately, these rallyes are only in the Chicagoland area. There are some other gimmick road rallye clubs around, but they are really way too difficult to write for more than one area.

K

krusty

sheesh SL, my head hurts and I was only going to the store to get milk.

Stop Laughing

it isn't that funny!
Staff member
Nah, we just used their parking lot for that checkpoint. Seriously, one of its bottling plants was there on Chase where the checkpoint was. :p :D

Stop Laughing

it isn't that funny!
Staff member
Well, you can blame Neo and Gonzo a little for it, they asked in the chat last night for an explanation of road rallyes, and as you can see, it's not easy to explain. That was just ONE gimmick; the average rallye has about 25 of them, and sometimes there's more than one going on at a time. We've had people hide addendas in food and make up a name to get published in a phone book for gimmicks, that's how low we will go. :D BTW, the Illinois DIpartment Of Transportation ;) still hasn't fixed that sign, the H is still missing from it where it should be RIGHT. :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!@#

ROFLMAO!

umm... what am I supposed to be laughing at, now? :retard:

:D