Router Question

BigDadday

Everday People
OK ever since I got cable I have had so many attacks on my puter it isn't funny at all. It seems that it's always the back door sub seven trojan being blocked and I never had this with my 56k at all? Am wondering if the purchase of a Linksey router would help?

I do have ZA Pro and also NIS 2002 on my machine!

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I you are using a firewall, it won't matter. They try to get in & are blocked, that's what you're after. The router will only make you unaware of this attempted intrusion.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Gonz is right.

Cable-connected computers are targeted more than anything out there for some reason, probably because they think cable is less secure than dialup. I don't know whether this is true or not, but cable is basically one huge LAN of a neighborhood of computers, all connected to a big ol' T1, and I know about this || much about LANs, so I dunno what to say.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
One of the reasons we're "attacked" so much is the static IP address. With dial-up & even DSL, it changes with each new connection. Just run a good firewall & turn off the "warning" pop-up. Hell, 3/4 of my ZA activity is stopping @home from being nosy.

Deanril

A router has a Physical Firewall ,not a Software firewall,and you can configure the goodones especially for things like this.

ZA give false reading ALOT.

Personally I would not feel safe at all without a Physical Firewall.

In addition sub7 backorafice ect...... you must have one running if people are trying to connect to you and use the proggy.

So get some good antivirus software and do a FULL scan on your sys and get rid of them ,and get rid of all those constant attacks.

Brewmeister

Deanril said:
A router has a Physical Firewall ,not a Software firewall,and you can configure the goodones especially for things like this.

What he said! I'll take a physical firewall over software running on the pc anyday. By the time they hit the software firewall, they are already on the pc. Even a cheap little Linksys router (have one-love it) gives you two-level protection - NAT and basic packet filtering. It's still not impossible to hack through, but will keep out most of the casual junk out there.

BigDadday

Everday People
OK how about me running this by you and what you think.

I have ZA Pro and norton Internet Security 2002 along with System Works so a Linksey router would be just a ??? more protection for me.

Brewmeister

I'd go with the router. whether you leave the software on the 'puters or not is up to you. It may not add much beyond what the router can do, but it won't hurt.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I should probably start thinking about a router and/or a firewall.

I don't like being hacked, and I got hacked while I was using XP.