Putting the motive in automotive

Professur

Mushroom at large
Do you have a favorite engine? I know some are mad about hemis. Some love the dual chamber honda. Even a few Mazda rotary fans out there. What engine gives you wood?

ImRaptor

New Chevy 571 crate engine.
I would love to take one of those and force it into Plymoth Cuda or if I was really loaded, one of the new SLK bodies.

Inkara1

I, for one, would rather put a 528 Hemi crate engine into that 'Cuda. It makes only 10 less HP and the same amount of torque with 43 less cubic inches. Plus, it's a Hemi. You just don't put Chevy motors where Hemis should go.

It might also be fun to take the new 57L "hemi" and stick it in a late-60s Mopar. 345 net HP is plenty of power for almost anything you'd use it for, plus it would have 2004 conveniences like fuel injection, and with it not having to pump the carb twice before cranking the motor. A lot of Ford folks do the same kind of thing with taking a 4.6L 300hp engine out of a newer Mustang and shoving it into a '65.

ImRaptor

But the GM 572ci makes 720hp
while the 528 Hemi makes 610hp

Thats a bit more than the 10hp by my calculations. And brand loyalty is just foolish. I'll put a ford engine in a honda if I had the money and damn well felt like it.

Professur

Mushroom at large
I saw an article last week where someone shoehorned a V10 viper engine into a charger. Tres cool.

Gato_Solo

My favorite engine? That's a tough call. I've driven every major make in the US, a Toyota, an Audi, hmmm...How about this one...

engineS6.jpg

Not much to look at, but with a few mods can put out up to 510 HP...

Gato_Solo

Inkara1 said:
Awfully weird-looking spark plug wire cover:

Whoops...sorry. I was looking right, and you meant left. That is part of the turbo 'pop-off' assembly. Here's a picture of it without all the rest of the innards in the way...

db_S4engine112603_0041.jpg

Gato_Solo

Keeps the turbo from blowing your pistons down through the bottom of your engine by relieving pressure when the engine has too much compression.