Printer recommendations

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
We've got a HP 895Cxi that works great. Momma wants something closer to her computer & I'm too lazy to move this one. Mostly text...any great ones under $100.?

greenfreak

I just got an HP 3320 two weeks ago for work and it was cheap and works fine for me. It was $50. I don't do all that much color printing but what's nice is that I can take out the color cartridge and it will work fine. There's no setting in the properties to enable just b/w printing so that's what I had to do when I print web pages.

Here's a list of the personal HP line, many people have these at work and swear by them:

HP home printers

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Personally, I wouldn't buy a HP printer if they were the last printers being made in the world. Never.

I'd go with Epson, then a Canon. The Epson C60 and C62 are both good printers for right around that price.

greenfreak

How come you don't like HP? Honestly, I've never had any experiences with any printers other than HP's so I don't know.

Gonzo

Staff member
I can at least partially answer that. They suck expensive ink. Not quite lexmark & a bunch better but expensive nonetheless.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Their crap to work on and they charge an arm and a leg for ink. The construction of the printers is just pathetic though. Cheap ....really cheap.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I got a Canon BJC-6000. It's pretty quick with text, the black ink tanks last for a decent amount of time and aren't too expensive. The one I have is colorblind though. Green comes out blue, red comes out purple, etc.

But it's nice, at standard quality it'll spit out like 10 pages a minute doing black text.

Stop Laughing

it isn't that funny!
Staff member
I got lucky, I found an HP LaserJet for $30 at a yard sale across the street with toner. I agree, those HP printers eat up ink like Fat Bastard. The printers are cheap, but they rip you off with the ink, and those ink refill kits are a bitch with their cartridges, you have to cut a precise hole in the cartridge and if you mess it up, you gotta get a new cartridge (learned the hard way). I only use it for color printing (which is probably like less than 5 pages a year) and now I have it set to print up the small sheets for the tournament since I can't feed the double half sheets (one 8.5 by 5.5 sheet attached to another underneath, like a carbon but no carbon paper) into the laser. It's still slow as hell, even if it's only printing about 20 characters a page, it delays after 2 pages because it still thinks it's getting fed regular paper.

Gonzo

Staff member
I got an Epson C42 at Tiger for $49.99, plus a USB cable. Tiger is nice because they're in Chicago & it's next day UPs for ground prices...12ppm, we'll see.

catocom

Machinehead
I just bought this printer from a guy a HWC.
I hope it does what I need it to.
3. Epson Stylus Color 580 USB Printer... Works Perfect
This printer comes with nearly new retail ink catridges which have more ink than the ones that come originally with an epson printer.
Also comes with power cable and usb cable as well as drivers and manual when I find it.
Price: 35$ SOLD

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
meeeee toooo
jebus, I just paid $36.00 for a color cartridge for my $49.00 Lexmark.:(

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
www.dixies-ink.com

Buy your cartigages from a third party manufacturer not from the original manufacturer. I get new cart's at work for about half of what I would pay for Epson carts.