My grandmother is seriously losing her mind

Stop Laughing

it isn't that funny!
Staff member
I don't know what we're going to do with her. She recently went to a doctor for a memory test and did poorly on it, he gave her simple memory tests and about the only ones she was good at were math related. She couldn't even tell him what his name was. She's now on medication to improve her memory, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. In fact, yesterday, she called my mother at work saying that her TV didn't work, and when she went to try to change the channel, she dialed a few numbers on the cordless phone before disconnecting the call. :retard: (it's funny, but also sad) I went over and found that the TV is really broken, not in reception, but that it doesn't respond to remotes (her other TV does, so I know that it's not the remotes that're busted). She finally has agreed to stop driving which is certainly a good thing, and we're gonna swap TVs with her so she has one that has a remote, because she doesn't understand how to even work the buttons on the set. Also, her apartment building keeps getting sold, the rent went up rather quick, and for about 3 days she had no heat, and the owners were very hard to contact. The whole family is in agreement that she should move out, but where? She doesn't want to leave here because she has so many friends here and we (my mother, brother, and I) live a block away in case she needs anything. She's on the waiting list for senior condos which are going up in Schiller Park, but it's a long list, as well as a shady building deal, they've had the land set aside for this for about 3 years now and have only now begun to start building it.

I don't know, do all old ladies get extremely crazy around me or what? (Lois, the crazy customer from Walgreens who took pictures of my house at 1:45 am one morning, is still the craziest; fortunately, I haven't seen her in a month)

Stop Laughing

it isn't that funny!
Staff member
The medication she's taking is normally given to Alzheimer's patients, and the doctor is going to look further into it to see if she does have Alzheimer's or not. I set up an alarm clock to go off at night (8 PM) when it's time for her to take the pill so she doesn't forget.

The TV thing is no big deal; we're switching TVs with her, each 19", and we'll have a family dinner while we do it too. I, for one, am ecstatic about her not driving anymore, and not just because it means that we have 2 cars at our disposal, but for her and everyone else's safety. On major roads, she's never within 5 MPH of the speed limit, 10 on highways, and she stops at all intersections in residential areas whether they have stopsigns or not. She was bound to get rear ended that way.

My mother must've gone nuts figuring out what my grandmother was doing when she said she'd try changing the channel and ended up cutting her off. :confused:

BTW, she'll be 80 years old in September. :)

75renegade

Official Wine Taster
HEY STOP.....

I 'ope I've got some folk like you an' yer family 'round me if I live to be 80! The fact that y'all care 'bout what makes yer Grandma happy an' comfy is a real rarity in our society today. She's blessed to 'ave ya in 'er life!! Jus' keep lovin' on 'er, things will work out fer all. Hang in there!:) :)