Losing weight on low carb eating

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Wasn't sure whether I should put this here or in Form & Function, but yeah.

I'm a proud proponent of low carb. Nothing but meat, eggs, cheese, fiber, and green veggies (well, ok, I'm still a sucker for sugar-free sodas and candies), and I'm down almost 60 lbs now. That's without even actively trying to lose it, only choosing what I eat more carefully. I'm sure I'll drop another few, as because of all this weight loss I'm more energetic and starting to burn it off by getting around more. I might even start *gasp* exercising! :eek:

It isn't everybody's cup of tea (I know how much people love their bread and pasta :P) but it makes perfect sense to me. I did it once in 2004, but because I thought that was all I had to do, I didn't stay low carb, so I gained it all back. Now I know a whole lot more about it, from several sources including Dr. Atkins' book (yeah, I know, he died :lloyd: ) and from a Gary Taubes book, as well as countless Googles of the subject. Basically boils down to insulin and its ability to inhibit weight loss... I got that drilled into my skull and it's been downhill ever since. I eat fewer things that raise my blood sugar, so my insulin doesn't go nuts, and I burn it off merely by existing. :beerbang:

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
I'm now in low carb diet. Cut off sodas and fried stuff. Getting low on everything else. I'm f**king starving here :p . Was able to cut off almost 7 kg (15lb) in about 1 month though.

iwajabitw

I'm now in low carb diet. Cut off sodas and fried stuff. Getting low on everything else. I'm f**king starving here :p . Was able to cut off almost 7 kg (15lb) in about 1 month though.
Been fighting a cold for a week, so I brought the carbs back up for now. After I get ketogenic 24-36 hrs, I usually never get hungry unless I stretch out past 10 days without carbs. Most of the time I cut carbs on Sunday-5oclock Friday. Re feed Fri night and Sat high glycemic low fat.

Professur

Mushroom at large
Homelan tried that. It worked for a while .. but he gave it up because it was ruining his health. I'd suggest wandering over to Catocom's site and asking him specifics. Maybe he'll share.

iwajabitw

Homelan tried that. It worked for a while .. but he gave it up because it was ruining his health. I'd suggest wandering over to Catocom's site and asking him specifics. Maybe he'll share.
I've used it quite a bit over the last 10yrs. Common mistake a lot of people make is not checking with the doc first. Ketones are rough on the kidneys, At least 2gallons of water a day need to be drank. The other, especially when people work out, is consuming too much protein. The diet is fat based, and without keeping those ratios right ketoacidosis or rabbit starvation they call it, can set up and wreck havoc on the body. I try not to run it in the hotter part of summer,because ketones cause your breath, piss, and body odor to kick up a few notches. That's when ill switch to a Mediterranean way of eating or something based on the French Paradox.

iwajabitw

I can usually keep about 50 grams of carbs a day in my diet, but I try to get those from greens, or beans. Started a new cycle today and will nix the carbs until next Friday, so an 8 day run.