IRS

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Got a little letter in the mail today. I'm getting a check from them for $300 in September. Cool. :D

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
Don't get too excited there ... the news last night reported that the first 53,000 letters to go out listed incorrect amounts :mad:

On top of that, the general public is under the impression that this is an added refund when in fact, it's a refund advance for 2001 (go to www.irs.gov for more info) that you'll have to claim on your taxes in 2001.

But if your letter was correct and you get $300, the beer's on you ;)

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Well then...."advanced payment"...screw them. Keep it then you greedy rat bastards. I would rather wait till tax time to get a one lump sum back.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
If you filed single last year, and your income was a decent level, then $300 is correct. This is actually meant to cover the incorrect tax tables used for payroll deductions in 2000, since the tax break is grandfathered.

DarkPrincess

One of a Kind
I haven't even got this years back yet. Maybe cause my ex-husband is a moron who cannot remember his own address.:smash:

Professur

Mushroom at large
Y'know, getting a tax refund isn't all that great. It means that you made the gov't an intrest free loan of your money over the past year. I'd rather collect the interest from my savings and pay out at the end of the year. It might only be a few bucks, but it's my few bucks.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Right. I've got a brother-in-law who always overpays by 7-10 grand and then uses the refund like money from heaven. It always makes me grind my teeth.

In this case, we had no choice. If I'd taken this $600 up front, they'd have thrown my butt in jail.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Originally posted by HomeLAN
Yep. $600 is right if you're married filing joint.

IF your taxable income is above $14000.+:cry:
I get $600. next week & it's already spent-on UNfun stuff-shit:(