I was called for duty...

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
... to work on the elections the whole day tomorrow. It's the second time they call me. Some people hate it but I really like. Who has gone thru the same?

leslie

That's a volunteer position here...they do give out coffee and biscuits and a tiny bit of money :D but one must volunteer for the work.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Haha :D none would do it if it was volunteer here. Well I would, but then I'm not normal :D They pay you the dinner and you get two days off from work for every day you work for them. Unless you are jobless like myself :(

DarkPrincess

One of a Kind
We have jury duty that sux! They called me in for the wrong county so I made a copy of my Drivers License and sent it in to prove that I live in a different county and they never got it I guess cause they said that I failed to appear. WTF???

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
There is jury duty in around here too. But I know wery few that have been called to...
BTW elections' final results point for a second round, so I will have to work again in 3 sundays...

greenfreak

Noite, make sure you don't eat for a few hours before that dinner, get the most you can out of it. :)

Most people I know who have ever been called for jury duty don't want to do it and have talked about trying to get out of it. I've never been called and I wouldn't mind at all. There are some things in my background though that might prevent me from being picked. But I would like to serve on a jury someday.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Turst me, jury duty is the absolute height of boredom. Take a book if you're called.

However, it is a civic duty. The next time I'm called, I'll go again.

greenfreak

I guess for people who don't like to read as a hobby, it might be a pain to wait to be called. But the act of sitting on a jury would be interesting to me, and I look at it like you do Steve, as a duty. I've been registered to vote for years, I don't know why they don't pick me. :( ;)

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
greenfreak said:
Noite, make sure you don't eat for a few hours before that dinner, get the most you can out of it. :)
Not so easy. What they give in fact is a ticket you can exchange in restaurants. The value is enough for two meals though...

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Jury duty is something I'd do, again, as a duty to my country. although IN needs to change the system.

You get picked to serve for 3 consecutive months. If you get a letter in the mail, you call the evening before you report to make sure they haven't plea bargained it down & you aren't needed after all. Kinda blows a large chunk of teh year out the window.

AZ was 1 week, show up, read a book, get picked or not. Go home & do it all over again tomorrow. Much more convenient. Same premise in Cali.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
My county works the same way as AZ and CA. Most of the other counties here are "one day, one trial". You go in on your day, and if you don't end up on a jury, you're done. Not Cobb County.

3 MONTHS?! Jeez!