Homemade food

leslie

I've had several kids here for dinner the last little while...and it was (I thought) a nobrainer for me to make homemade macaroni and cheese, all kids like macaroni and cheese, right?

NO!

all of those children a) had never had homemade macaroni and cheese and b) didn't like it, and preferred Kraft Dinner. WTF is up with this? Is it not a staple dinner item or ??? seems to me it always was, to me and my friends...or have people just got so into the fast food life that KD is the only way to go.

I was also flabbergasted one day when a little guy didn't like homemade tollhouse, never having had homemade cookies before :lurk:

Did y'all have homemade mac and cheese as kids? Do y'all still have it now? would your kids know what it is?

Luhny

i can tell the difference. I like the real cheese and not to dry either. I would have homemade any day of the week rather than kraft power stuff. I cook for myself sorry no kids here (yet)

PuterTutor

I remember my grandma made homemade mac n cheese for us once, we hated it. Bout the same as when school made it. Of course, I love it now...

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
I rather have the homemade stuff rather than the sawdust and macaroni. :sick:

leslie

I just can't fathom preferring the sawdust variety. and to prefer storebought cookies?!?!

I use old cheddar in mine, Inkara...

milk thickened with flour and butter, grate the cheese in to melt and pour over the noodles, bake till bubbly.

*hungry now*

Inkara1

Ohh... that cheese mix sounds good :yum:

I'm not sure how the flour would affect the taste though.

leslie

it doesn't...

just a couple tablespoons of flour, a couple tablespoons of butter, fry together until it's blended (that's called a "roux"), then about 4 cups of milk. The flour will dissapate and the milk will thicken, then 2-3 cups of grated cheese. It's the creamiest mac and cheese EVER.

(also adds just a pinch of nutmeg sometimes to enhance flavour - trust me it works)

Inkara1

Right now, I'm cooking up one of my staples: "sawdust" macaroni and cheese, with a can of drained tuna (in water, not oil) stirred in. It's like a poor man's tuna casserole.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
*laughing at Leslie for expecting little ones to think straight* :D

Squiggy

I'm trying a new recipe. I made chicken salad using eggs and i can't wait to try it. Anyone know how long it'll take these things to hatch? :retard:

Inkara1

So you're saying the best way to get the board back on track is to create a thread about sex with food?

Aerosmith said:
When it comes to makin' love, I ain't no hype... 'cuz I practice on a peach most every night.

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
I LOVE homemade mac and cheese!!

My momma makes it often, as do I :)

I just layer the pasta and sliced cheddar cheese though YUM :D

Note: Not slices of cheese as in kraft slices but rather block cheese sliced up by your trully :D