Escapades of a backyard mechanic

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
This is an ongoing story of my adventures working on a 93 ford aerostar 4wd van i own.
It started 4 weeks ago. Every time you turn right you hear a sound as if something is grinding.
Week 1:
tore the whole left side wheel area apart to get to the universal joint. Got it out and had it looked at. Mechanic says looks fine but regreased it so put back on.
Noticed while i was down there the shock neds replacing so i buy both to do the following weekend.
Week 2 and 3:
While replacing the shocks i notice the right front disc brake is really worn compared to the left so while replacing shocks i end up also replacing the brakes.
During all this the noise never goes away.

Professur

Mushroom at large
Look at the bushings. I had a similar noise with my Mirage. I could have sworn that it was rotary in nature, and it turned out to be the tortion bar bushings.

Kruz

Staff member
*Edited for spelling correction*

it might be the hub\bearing assembly.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Well it keeps getting better.. week 4 now.
After installing 3, yes 3 power steering pumps i finally got a good one. At least the van dont screech anymore. Now if i could just figure out the damn grinding noise.
Oh by the way now they have looked at my tie rods and i will be replacing them now onto week 5...:mad:

Professur

Mushroom at large
Q: that would be a clunk, not a grind.

Changed tires recently? I remember putting the winter tires from my Celebrity onto my mother's Shadow. Just putting 195s in place of the 185s caused a rubbing in tight turns.

Neo, don't forget to get an alignment after those tie rod ends. But you knew that already.

Have they checked the top shock plate? If the bearing in that's gone, it'll grind wierd, and be tough to track down.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
prof, havent checked that yet. got the tierods on and going to get new tires this weekend. then gonna have it aligned.
Its like that movie groundhog day it just keeps happening...

Kruz

Staff member
Standing high atop Mt. Goodwrench, The Master levels the Holy Torque Wrench and touches Professure on each shoulder.....
I dub thee.... "Sir Wrench Alot"
Never again shale you be known as Naive, And no more oil changes shale you ever do....:)

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Well finally after 5 weeks we found the problem. The inner race bearings were bad. But guess wht, you cant just buy the bearings. You have to buy the whole unit. but at least its fixed now...

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Well this van just wont let me be. Its been a few monthe and today I have to put yet another powersteering pump in it. At least this time it isnt squeeking like the other 3 did.
Best of all i finally get that done and then i have to replace the transmission filter. OH JOY... what a messy job. Kruz i feel for ya.
But hey i got it done and added a dura lube bottle to it and it seems to be working ok. Time will tell. It seems to slip but just everyonce and a while. noticably when going uphill.
Next if this all is still working I'll be pulling the battlecruiser into the grage and giving her a summer tune up. I just love the new tool and gotta work them.:)

Mechanic

pulling the filter and pan off doesnt get what is in the torque converter (4-6 qts) tranny cooler (1-2 qts) and with the all wheel drive you better make sure that your transfer case fluid is good as well. If i were you i would take to Jiffy Lube or some other fast lube place that has the machine that pumps all the fluid out of your tranny and while your there have them do the transfer case as well.

As far as your powersteering problems make sure that all the bolts are tight on everything that the pump mounts to .. ie the holding brackets and where they mount to the block and check the brackets to make sure they are not cracked .. that throws the pump out of alighnment. I would like to know if you are running the rack and pinion steering or the gear box power steering unit
Good luck and i will check on ya later