Editorial about patriotism

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Finally, someone said, what I think has been on every
American's mind!!!!! This is an editorial written by an American
citizen, published in a local newspaper. "IMMIGRANTS, NOT
AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT!!" I am tired of this nation worrying
about whether we are offending some individual or their culture.
Since
the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, we have experienced a surge in
patriotism by the majority of Americans.
However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when
the ?politically correct" crowd began complaining about the
possibility
that
our
patriotism was offending others. I am not against
immigration, nor do I hold
a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by
coming to America. Our population is almost entirely comprised of
descendants of immigrants.
However, there are a few things that those who have recently
come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to
understand.
Th! is idea of America being a multicultural community has served only
to
dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we
have
our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own
lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of
struggles,
trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought
freedom. We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese,
Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become
part of
our society, learn the language!
"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some
Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto
because
Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this
nation,
and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to
display
it on the walls of our schools. If God
offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the
world as your new home, becaus! e God is part of our culture.
If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like Uncle
Sam, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of
this
planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change,
and
we really don't care how you did things where you came from. This is
OUR
COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives
every
citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every
opportunity to do so. But, once you are done complaining, whining,
and
griping about our flag, our pledge,
our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage
you to take advantage of one other great American freedom, THE RIGHT
TO
LEAVE.
If you agree, pass it on. If you don't agree, pass it on
anyway. What the heck! This is AMERICA, after all!
So, I'm passing it on. :thup:

UltraLiberty

Patriotism is good.

I'm not so sure about self-righteous patriotism, though.

Seems to me if you tell someone to fuck off because you think his point of view doesn't fit in with what this country is about...then you've forgotten what this country is about.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
What this editorial is mainly about, I think, is that the minorities have gained control over what the majority of the U.S.'s population can do. The minority that doesn't believe in a supernatural being of some sort managed to get the Pledge of Allegiance out of schools, for example. This editorial is about a person taking a stand and saying "Fuck all you people who don't like it if I show my patriotism!", and that's why I passed it on.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
(I had such a good answer before we were rudely interupted.)

That's why we are a representative republic instead of a democracy. If the majority always got their way then the minority would be beaten & killed regualrly. God was never in our classrooms until the 40's. The nifty50s made sure we were all christians & then people started getting mad. There is a seperation of church & state & the schools belong to state. If you want God, go to church, if you want education go to school.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't read the editorial as mainly about separation of church and state, but more like total banishment of patriotism. Nowadays we can pretty much just sing a couple songs and wave a flag around. There's no more Pledge of Allegiance in schools, because it offends 2-3% of people who came from another country. Nobody is allowed to talk about God at all. The pledge of allegiance is not a prayer that is said in church, it is a poem to express patriotism and loyalty to our country, and which was once said each morning at almost every school in the nation. Now it is banned because the "G" word is in it. Oh no, that's such a crime to humanity! :eek:

I'm all for freedom of religion. But when the very phrase that used to teach school children to respect the greatest country in the world is banned, then we've lost a small, insignificant fraction of our freedom of speech. There are enough small insignificant fractions of our freedoms being taken away with each new bill being passed in Congress that soon, they will come to be a very significant total and we will be no better off than if we were still living under the iron fist of the oppressive government this country was founded to get away from.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Geez fury. It's not like Britan was this communist country at the time. hehehe

Your right though. Little by little these little freedoms we bequeath to the communists running this country the more we fall back into "a follow and herd" mentality. Piece by piece our libarties are stripped from us. Saying rag head gets me in trouble as does a slew of other slander. Not that I would, but I can't because it's oppresive or discriminatory.

I don't believe in God but I still said the Pledge of Allegiance in class. Every morning. I did it because I love this place. Keep letting the government take more and more power away from you and this place is going to be the next China.

Pretty much follow the manifest set forth by Sen. Thomas Daschle and you'll be the good little coolie our "leaders" want.

Tommy Daschle

flavio

superfly
Staff member
But when the very phrase that used to teach school children to respect the greatest country in the world is banned, then we've lost a small, insignificant fraction of our freedom of speech

Really? We lost the freedom to force all children to pledge themselves and invoke a god they may not believe in?

Seems like the children gained some freedom.

Gonzo

Staff member
The Pledge of Allegiance, before the nifty 50's got ahold of it:let's reurn to the days of yesteryear:

I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag,
and to the Republic for which it Stands;
One Nation, Indivisible,
With Liberty & Justice for All.

no problems in that one.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
flavio, the entire pledge of allegiance was banned. Removing the "G" word should've satisfied the whiners barking for it, but no, they had to lose the whole damn thing. Makes me sick. I'm with Gonz. Don't obliterate the pledge of allegiance entirely, that thing has been there since forever.

flavio

superfly
Staff member
Well that's the way it goes sometimes. If they hadn't stuck God into it in the first place then it probably would have stayed. It's a little weird anyway though. Mandating that a bunch of small children involuntarily make a pledge seems a little strange.

Shouldn't a pledge like that be something that you do because you WANT to and feel strongly about it or something, not because someone made you.

Gonzo

Staff member
For years, after realizing what I & others were doing, I was against the pledge, for the exact reasons Flavio points out. What the hell does a 2nd grader know about pledging allegiance to anything thats not dragonball z/pokemon or barbie? I am still against it in principle, but I also see the point in saying it. We should go back to the original poem & have the children recite that, and around third grade, begin explaing the concept of what it is & why it's important.

UltraLiberty

After the first part, "I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag," didn't it say "of the United States of America"? Or was that only in the version that also had "under God"?

Gonzo

Staff member
UL-"of the USofA" was added in the late 1900's and "under God" was added in about 1954