Drop everything your doing and get in irc chat

Outlaw69

Banned
Subject: NEED YOUR EXPERT HELP!!!

I got an Asus A7A266 mobo..but I think its a piece of shit, because I get lots of error messages and every game I play locks up or kicks me to the desktop. I formatted..I flashed the bios to the current one..and still I have lots of problems. Here are the specs of this machine.

Asus A7A266
1.33 t-bird
512mb DDR from Micron
Geforce2 GTS 64mb
SoundblasterLive! 5.1
Antec case/300wt
Acer 52x cd-r0m
Samsung 16x dvd

....all the latest drivers for vid card/soundcard/directx..etc etc

The cpu temps are around 48 celcius

I'm at my wits end here. I just want this thing to be stable so I can crunch genome and game on it.

Any advice is welcome.
Thanks in advance

S

s4

Keep us posted and if you need anything else posted over there, just PM me.

S

s4

For those who may have joined later, Outlaw had me post his problem at OCN because he was having problems posting there with the IE installed on that computer.

Outlaw69

Banned
It looks to be a ram problem. I took out one of the 256 sticks and now the computer is rock solid...weirdest thing. I tried both sticks by themselves and the computer runs nice..but when you get both in..then I get the error messages and crashes and shit.

Thanks bubba for posting this for me..and I owe you a few beers cbrsfr :grin:

thanks for all the input..but now i just have to figure out why the ram don't like each other since they are exactly alike..i think?

S

s4

Have you tried using each one by itself? Could be one of them is bad?

Outlaw69

Banned
yeah bubba..thats what i was trying to say in my post above you. kinda stoned..they both work fine by thmesleves but when they are both in at the same time... ****ing comp ****s up.

Justintime

Something
yar, sounds to be a timing issue, sorted it yet? if not, are both the same speed? set all timing and settings etc to default or most discrete timings and see if issue still occurs

stumble biscuit

Hi. I have the A7A also. I've heard several people have had problems running two 256 sticks of Micron in these boards for some reason. I'm using some no name cheapass ddr and have no problems with two 256 sticks installed. A couple of people have emailed Asus about this but have not recieved any worthwhile info back. Sorry I couldnt be of more help.

Outlaw69

Banned
tnaks for the info stunblecookie...I didn't know that about the A7A, that'll come in handy when I pay the boys from the computer store a visit.

stumble biscuit

Click here to read a thread where people are having the exact same problem as you described. Maybe your puter shop will switch some memory brands around with you until you get a stable machine. Either that or you can smash open their cash register and get a refund, heh.

Outlaw69

Banned
Thank you very much stunblecookie. Its nice to know its not a singular problem but a massive ****up on asus's part. I will replace these 2 sticks of 256 ddr from micron with an 512 stick from some other company.

I will show them this link at t he store...save alot of hassle.

Inkara1

Did the clock lose time while the computer was running? I had an Asus K7M board that did that, then started giving me blue screens when I'd boot Windows 98 and would freeze the system when I'd try to install Windows 2000. Plus, Genome was giving me illegal ops on the rare occasion I could get the computer to start. Replacing the board (and with it the processor and modem and P/S) fixed the problem.