Dead MoBo?????

Kruz

Staff member
so I get home from work today, and see that my computer is off!! (it was on when i left for work).
then i look at the clocks, and they are flashing 12:00.. shit! power must have gone out sometime during the day.
oh well, It happens sometimes... go to start computer and.. nothing! Monitor is blinking yellow, no post, black screen... SHIT!!!! :teeth: . At first I thought my new vid card was bad, swapped out with old geforce2 card.. same thing(black).. got my sons monitor and hooked it up..(black).
so, its not the vid card or monitor.. BTW all fans,HDD's,cd/dvd,floppy,drives lite up and run fine...just no post!
tried clearing CMOS at least 20 times... with and without power cords in.. no dice!
so now im thinking motherboard or cpu.. I took the ram and vid card out, and started it up.. NO BEEPS!
so it looks like the mobo is toast... Its a ABIT KG7 with a 1.4 T-Bird. but I can't try the cpu in another board, cause I don't have any AMD boards, All the rest of the computers are Intel..
Anyone think of somthing I missed? something else to try maybe?...
I checked at Newegg and I can get a ABIT KR7a-133, with a XP1900+ delivered for $254.00... that will be my other option if I can't get this one fixed..

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried clearing the CMOS with the capacitors discharged? To do this, unplug the computer, then hit the power button. You might see the fans power up for a fraction of a second. This ensures there is no power left in the capacitors.

Then try clearing the CMOS.

Sometimes if I don't discharge the caps, my CMOS never gets cleared.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
I just went thru this Kruz, ended up having to get a new board and cpu...:mad:

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Before you go blowing a bunch of money on a new mobo, you might want to check out the power supply first.

Kruz

Staff member
have tried all above sugestions...still dead!
using the wifes shitbox to send this... I guess im going to have to spend some bucks and get new stuff... thanks for the suggestions

systembuilder

Folding@home
some mobo have to cleared by putting the jumper in the clear pos
and turn on the comp while holding the insert key ...dont know if it will help you or give it a try

Kruz

Staff member
still no post.... and I don't know if it's both Mobo AND cpu bad, or just mobo OR cpu?
Will a mobo give beep codes with a dead cpu in it? OR if you remove the cpu.. will you get ANY beeps?

systembuilder

Folding@home
Sorry kruz it sounds like your cpu or mobo are now D O A

most likely you have lost you cpu, in most cases when the fan and hard drives spin up with no beeps and no video its the cpu that has gone south.

it sucks you have no way to find out for sure

look on the bottom of the cpu for burn marks

Kruz

Staff member
I confermed (with unclehobarts help) that it was only the mobo.. cpu is fine, so I have ordered an Abit KX7-333 to replace it... should arive any day now:)