Cylinder Head swap-out...

Gato_Solo

Professur said:
This is the part where I usually suggest saving the money, and buying an old Buick and dropping in a crate 572.

Too easy...besides...from other folks who have done this swap, they still get around 25 miles per gallon. Try that with a 572...

Gato_Solo

Well...I got an e-mail from the company that has the 'complete cylinder head'. With all the trimmings it comes up to $2242.50...

Here's a picture...

1461.jpg

Gato_Solo

Gato_Solo said:
Well...I got an e-mail from the company that has the 'complete cylinder head'. With all the trimmings it comes up to $2242.50...

Here's a picture...

1461.jpg

Found another company that sells the head for a 'mere' $950, including shipping. :D

Professur

Mushroom at large
If you'd gone with my idea, you'd be finished already. By the time you get around to doing this build, it'll be time to buy a new one.

Gato_Solo

Professur said:
If you'd gone with my idea, you'd be finished already. By the time you get around to doing this build, it'll be time to buy a new one.

:spit:

Says the man who drives an American car...:rofl:

Professur

Mushroom at large
Actually, it was the other way round. Chrysler needed small, reliable engines and Mitsubishi provided. Until Mitsubishi was bought out by Hyundai.

Part of the deal to supply engines was that Chrysler sell Mitsubishi cars on their lots, since Mitsubishi didn't have dealerships. Chrysler really didn't want Colts on their lots, since they outsold the Chrysler small cars (Omni). But they had to have something to compete with the GM and Ford retags of the Sprint/Firefly and Festiva/Aspire.

Professur

Mushroom at large
Pre-1990, dude.

Look at the 1988-89 colt front end, and the same year excel. Hell, go to a scrap yard for Hyundai engine parts, and they've got the 3 diamond logo stamped on them. That's why Hyundai bought them. Same reason Chrysler used them. Great small engines.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Not anymore, dude. As of their 10k of 9-30-04, Hyundai ain't even in the list. Phoenix Capital, in its various incarnations, owns about 28%.

Code:
Company  	Ownership
(thousands of shares) 	% of total
outstanding
DaimlerChrysler AG 	499,856 	18.88
Phoenix Capital Partners I Co., Ltd. 	300,000 	11.33
Phoenix Capital Partners IV Co., Ltd. 	240,000 	9.06
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. 	219,871 	8.30
Phoenix Capital Partners II Co., Ltd. 	150,000 	5.67
Mitsubishi Corporation 	77,354 	2.92
Japan Securities Finance Co., Ltd 	75,501 	2.85
Morgan Whitefriars Equity Derivative 	58,787 	2.22
Phoenix Capital Partners III Co., Ltd. 	50,000 	1.89
DaimlerChrysler MMC Beteiligungsgesellschaft mbH 	48,516 	1.83
The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi, Ltd. 	43,026 	1.63
The Mitsubishi Trust and Banking Corporation 	38,427 	1.45
J.P. Morgan Whitefriars Inc. 	25,771 	0.97
The Master Trust Bank of Japan, Ltd. (Holder in Trust) 	24,576 	0.93
J.P. Morgan Securities, Ltd. 	23,222 	0.88
Capital Guardian Trust Company 	21,592 	0.82

That looks like crap, but the last number in each line is percentage of outstanding shares owned by the company on that line. I understand Daimler has backed off in the last six months, but Hyundai is sufficiently financiallly fucked that they are NOT stepping into this.

10k link

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Some research shows that Hyundai was using Mitsubishi engines under license agreements, but I can't see where they ever owned 'em.

Professur

Mushroom at large
Well, my '88 and my '89 were definitely built on the excel assembly line. That was during the period that dodge used the colt 100 and colt 200 lines. Lemme see if I can't pull up some pics.

q434795a.jpg

Dodge colt 100

q432720a.jpg

Dodge Colt 200

The 100 was built in Korea on the Hyundai ass'y line. The 200 on the japanese Mitsubishi line.