Court blocks Do-Not-Call registry

greenfreak

Court blocks Do Not Call Registry
Associated Press

A federal judge has ruled that the Federal Trade Commission overstepped its authority in creating the national do-not-call list against telemarketers. The ruling Tuesday came in a lawsuit brought by telemarketers who challenged the list of 50 million people who said they do not want to receive business solicitation calls. The list was to go into effect Oct. 1.

U.S. DISTRICT JUDGE Lee R. West said the main issue in the case was "whether the FTC had the authority to promulgate a national do-not-call registry. The court finds it did not."
House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Billy Tauzin, R-La., and Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., said Wednesday they were confident the ruling would be overturned and believe Congress did give the FTC the necessary authority. "We will continue to monitor the situation and will take whatever legislative action is necessary to ensure consumers can stop intrusive calls from unwanted telemarketers," they said in a joint statement. The House committee authorized the list.

Calls to the FTC were not immediately returned Wednesday.

Direct Marketing Association Inc., one of the plaintiffs, said it was happy with the ruling, even though it "acknowledges the wishes of millions of U.S. consumers who have expressed their preferences not to receive telephone-marketing solicitations -- as evidenced by the millions of phone numbers registered on the FTC list."

The suit was filed by DMA, U.S. Security, Chartered Benefit Services Inc., Global Contact Services Inc. and InfoCision Management Corp.

The telemarketing industry estimates the do-not-call list could cut its business in half, costing it up to $50 billion in sales each year.

More than a dozen states with do-not-call lists planned to add their lists to the national registry this summer, the FTC said.

Telemarketers would have to check the list every three months to see who doesn't want to be called. Those who call listed people could be fined up to $11,000 for each violation.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/971221.asp?cp1=1

I knew it was going to be too good to be true. I really hope it goes through but I just don't know. If it does, I think we're about to get a hell of a lot more mail.

I get the same kinds of soliciting calls all the time but they use an automatic dialer and a pre-recorded message so that you can't tell them you want to be taken off their list. I'd happily change my answering machine message to include the request but it's not a person leaving the message so it won't be heeded anyway.

Professur

Mushroom at large
A lot of people thing that telemarketers work for the company that they're advertising. Most of them are working for minimum wage, and are given a new chat sheet daily. I set up a telemarketer office once. They went serious on the 100% uptime requirement. Novel FT3. That's a big indicator of slim profit margins. Anything against their SOP is gonna kill them. But, good ridance.

Spot

The state version (we have one) is not affected.

same here

you'd think that if 50 million people said "go away", they'd get the hint...

heard on the news the other day that they were trying to do the same thing for junk mail. about time. save a few million trees.

Mirlyn

rebmeM
Gonzo said:
The state version (we have one) is not affected.
You know, my friend worked for a telemarketer until we (as a state) started one. The company picked up and moved to Oklahoma and started there. I guess there's a loophole that doesn't require out of state companies to adhere? I don't know how that works (or why it works) but its what I've heard.

Honestly though, I wouldn't doubt its true.....with this state :retard:

Professur

Mushroom at large
The loophole is that they're only bound by the list of the state they operate out of. Few people in Kansas will appear on a Oklahoma list. If the Oklahoma list even allows out of state residents to register on it.