cold air intake tube composition?

Mirlyn

rebmeM
Got a 1999 Mustang on which I'm looking at putting some bolt-ons. Specifically, cold air intake.

While looking around, I see chrome plated aluminum/steel/whatever and ABS plastic. Nearly every one of the ABS kits proudly proclaim that the plastic does not transfer engine heat as well as the metal ones do. I can see this being true, but does the engine heat make that big of a difference between the metal and plastic intakes?

90% of the kits for this car actually port the intake all the way to the left side forwardmost corner and put the filter inside the fender so to use the "cold air" (away from the engine), and as I understand it, that is the theory behind cold air intake. However, I don't know if the metal ones do indeed heat the intake air that much more than ABS or if its the ABS makers making hype. What do you guys think?

Kruz

Staff member
the differance in temps for the abs and metal runners won't make much of a preformance change... both work well. it just depends on how fancy you want it to look...
the constant air movement through the tube keeps it from soaking up any underhood heat.

Mirlyn

rebmeM
Kruz said:

the constant air movement through the tube keeps it from soaking up any underhood heat.

Thats what I was thinking. Thanks Kruz. I think I'll go for the chrome. :)