Beep, beep, beep

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
I'm trying to get some old computer up and running. One of them just keeps beeping as soon as you turn it on. Any ideas?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Without knowing what brand bios it is, I'd say it's incorrectly seated (or bad) memory.

Check to make sure everything is seated properly and that you have at least two of the same make, model, and size (as in two 32 meg sticks for example) sticks of memory installed in the system.

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
It's short beeps that go on for ever.

Here's the info.

I think the mobo is an Asus PVI-486SP3. The two chips in the board say ' SIS 85C497'. It's for an AMD 486 (socket 3)
Bios? I have no idea. Correct me if I'm wrong, is that not the chip that can be removed? 1/2"X1 1/2" in size?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
That may be the bios chip. See if you can read any of the markings on it.

Constant short beeps indicates a possible cpu overheat/cpu failure. Make sure the CPU is seated in the socket in the correct orientation (there IS a wrong way to put Socket 3 processors in, you have to be careful with those things!) and that the heatsink and fan (if any) are seated firmly against the CPU

fury

Administrator
Staff member
OK then, take out the memory and put it back in and see if that does it. :cool:

Compren

Hey Man! It's your Memory. I have seen several computers with the same problem and it took me for ever trying to figure it out. And after i realized that the memory was the only thing i hadn't switched out, I almost kicked myself in the butt.:beerchug: