Barbecue sauce?

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Is there a traditional recipe for american barbecue? It's scarcely found around these parts but I find it tasty.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Yes and no. It tends to be regional. Through much of the south, it's tomato based and can be mild or quite spicy. In North Carolina, it's likely to be mustard or vinegar based. In California, those wack-jobs refer to a dry rub as BBQ.

The general perception is a tomato-based product, thick, and fairly spicy. However, the meat it's on also varies by region. In the south, it's traditionally chopped or pulled pork, or chicken if you absolutely must. In Texas and the west, it tends to be beef.

Inkara1

Not all the whack-jobs in California do dry-rub... it's just around here. I look at it this way: instead of flavoring the meat with sauces, we use meat that's got plenty of flavor on its own.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
That's easy enough.

The chicken rub is approximately half and half brown sugar and sea salt. I used light brown sugar, but dark will do nicely as well.

The catfish breading is 2/3 flour to 1/3 corn starch. Add a little garlic powder, moderate salt and plenty of poultry seasoning. Mix well. Dip the fish into milk, and then into the breading to coat. Fry in oil (I use canola) that IS ALREADY HOT! That's key. This also works nicely on chicken.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Hey, it's all fuckin' corn. :D

I get those two mixed up. I just know what the shit looks like on the shelf. Use whichever the females feel is correct.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Tell 'em to enjoy it - while they can. They ain't never gonna get it to taste as good as mine.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
HomeLAN said:
Yes and no. It tends to be regional. Through much of the south, it's tomato based and can be mild or quite spicy. In North Carolina, it's likely to be mustard or vinegar based. In California, those wack-jobs refer to a dry rub as BBQ.

The general perception is a tomato-based product, thick, and fairly spicy. However, the meat it's on also varies by region. In the south, it's traditionally chopped or pulled pork, or chicken if you absolutely must. In Texas and the west, it tends to be beef.
I think the first is the one I sampled loked like. I bet it tastes wonderfully on pork ribs :mmm: