Anyone here have had to deal with domain hijacking?

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
My aunt's domain (easyrecipes.com) seems to have been hijacked. She's had this domain since probably the late '90's. There was a site there at one time that you could order recipes (I know, I've eaten most of them). But since maybe around 2001, there's been nothing there. Recently, there have been many calls to my aunt asking if she was selling the domain. She isn't.

This has been going on for months/years. My aunt says she wants to do something else with the domain.

Last week, we get another offer for the domain; this time the caller says the domain has been hijacked. Sure enough my bro who was in town at the time says the administration info has been changed (to a fictious address).

Anyone?

My bro email follows:

As near as I can tell, Ann's domain (www.easyrecipes.com) was recently hijacked. We didn't have a site up -- we just had the domain parked at the Domain Registry of America while we decided what to do with it. Someone managed to get into her file, change the adminstrative contact to an email address we have no control over, and then moved the domain to a new provider (GoDaddy.com). The Registrant is still us, and the Tech contact info was the last tech guy who handled the easyrecipes site. (I've attached the WHOIS info below).

The problem is that in order to do anything with the domain (like start up a website, for example), the approval must go through the administrative contact -- and since that is no longer us, we effectively no longer control the domain.

I've written to GoDaddy.com -- they were unable to help, but did suggest some things we can do (see below). Do either of you guys have any experience dealing with domain hijacking (or know someone who has), or do you have any suggestions of what we can do next? Going through some internet arbitrator probably would work -- but it also would cost a lot of $$$. Is there any way we can hack back into our own file and set things right?

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Whoops, forgot this:

WHOIS:

Registrant:

21 West 89th Street
New York, New York 10024
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com
Domain Name: EASYRECIPES.COM
Created on: 08-Jul-96
Expires on: 07-Jul-13
Last Updated on: 06-Apr-05

Administrative Contact:
Recipes, Easy [email protected] [email protected]
ABZek, Ltd.
210 4 ave.
new york, New York 10041
United States
999-999-9999
Technical Contact:
Martinez, Krister [email protected] [email protected]
17436 NW 63rd CT
Miami, Florida 33015
United States
305-819-8111 Fax -- 305-819-6262

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.PENDINGTRD.COM
NS2.PENDINGTRD.COM

The previous information has been obtained either directly from the registrant or a registrar of the domain name other than Network Solutions. Network Solutions, therefore, does not guarantee its accuracy or completeness.

Current Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
Lock Status: REGISTRAR-LOCK
DMOZ no listings
Y! Directory: see listings
Data as of: 08-Jun-2004

>>>

Dear Richard Corley,

Thank you for contacting customer support.

Per the UDRP, the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy, https://registrar.godaddy.com/dispute_policy.asp, registrars cannot make any changes to a domain name without direction from a court or arbitration forum.

If you are unable to come to a satisfactory agreement with the registrant, you may wish to proceed through a court or arbitration forum, such as WIPO (The World Intellectual Property Organization, [email protected]). Once we receive notice of a pending dispute from a court or arbitration forum, we will lock the domain name so it cannot be transferred or otherwise modified. Likewise, when we receive a decision from the legal body, we will update the domain name accordingly.

I hope this information helps. Please let us know if we can help you in any other way.

Learn more about our Shared, Virtual-Dedicated, and Dedicated hosting: Click here

Sincerely,

Jason P.
GoDaddy.com
Customer Service Representative

General Support: 480-505-8877
Billing: 480-505-8855

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
huge, Im assuming that you are still paying yearly fees for hosting. Tell godaddy you need all statements since you bought the domain, and any other information that would show her as the owner as far back as they can. A good arbitrator will make the other person prove proof of transfer and ownership. Which they cant do

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Yeah my bro mentioned something about an arbitrator; didn't hear the whole conversation about it. That may be the way to go.