Anybody deal with calling M$?

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
After about 5 hours of dealing with this pos computer, I now have to deal with pos M$ and beg them for a new cd key for xp. I'm not sure if it's because I'm tired but I'm almost tempted to a) restore a complete backup from 2 weeks ago (even though the backup isn't nearly near as fast as this new install speed wise) or b) install win2k. Is this what M$ really had in mind to prevent pirating by fucking over legit users. How painful is calling them up and how many pints of blood do they steal?

Only 2 activations per cd key? What the hell is up with that? And it's been months since my last activation. XP is great when it does what it's supposed to, not all this other bs that is associated with it.

B

Bubba

Norton Ghost is very useful at times like this.

I edited my original message because it was too looong.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
I did the wpa thingy originally from my backup. Still didn't work, even though not a lick of hardware has changed.

I think I will :cuss: now! Oh well...

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
HOLY SHIT!

That is pure BS!

When my hard drive was crapping out I installed windows like 20 times in 3 days!!! I would have had to call 10 times had I been using XP!

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
No you wouldn't. Not unless a significant change to the hardware takes place. Even still, it's only on a install of Windows XP with hardware changes taking place when it's installed that a re-registration is required. Still, it's a real dumb thng for them to do. I've got a CC here that we use just to charge calls to MS with. Of course, in the event we do, we simply pass the cost off to the customer. Either way, $35 bucks to them even if they can't solve the problem. Pure BS!

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
What do yo mean by significant hardware changes?

You don't HAVE to register windows do you?

I assume you're not talking about the "enter your product key" screen when installing :retard:

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
With XP, it's product activation. Without activation,XP stops working after 30 days. By significant hardware, I mean motherboard, or possibly a video card or hard drive. Enough to warrant Micro$oft's feeling that your attempting to use XP on a new computer. Basically, this prevents someone from copying the hard drive and putting that hard drive in another computer.

Just another way for them to control their mass of followers.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
I had to call them once when i had a problem with windoze and novel. what a crock they both blamed each other and i didnt get the problem solved by either of them. Ended up at HWC.

systembuilder

Folding@home
i have done the product activation on my comp 30+ time with no call to ms, however on some comps ive had to call every time.when i asked ms tech about it they didnt know why so they said , first load and a pre load at that on a comp and i had to call them to activate it:mad:didnt matter if i used home or pro on that comp WTF up with that....

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
I'll probably won't deal with it until later on...I'm just sick of all these tactics by companies to (ultimately) penalize legit users. Like movie companies when it comes to DVD releases :retard:

Ugh. It's more of a pain in the ass than anything else at this point.

Attachments

• activation.jpg
    activation.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 19

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
If Hoolywood has their way, your system will be monitored by them 24/7 and you won't be able to even make your own computer.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
If Hoolywood has their way, your system will be monitored by them 24/7 and you won't be able to even make your own computer.
Those damned Hoolywooders will NEVER pull that off...it's just not possible! The computer geek world would overthrow the government :headbang: