Any idea's

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
1996 Ford Taurus wagon
6 cyl (2.3l I think)

A problem for over a year & I really can't afford to have the Ford mechanics guesstimate it.

When moving the temp runs about right. When in mediocre traffic, it gets real warm but doesn't overheat. When in stop & go, it gets hot. Once moving, it returns to normal. Winter or summer.

No leaks. Already replaced the thermostat. The fans are turning. It's been flushed.

Kruz

Staff member
are you sure the radiator cooling fans are working?
what you described is classic cooling fan problems. do the fans come on with the A\C turned on? (they should).
stuck closed t-stat will overheat at any speed.
headgasket problems will overheat at higher engine speeds.
coolant temp sensor turns the fans on and off when needed (on at about 210-230f) (off at 195f)
plugged radiator will overheat at higher engine speeds, not lower...

Gonzo

Staff member
Inkara1 said:
Did you make sure the front of the radiator isn't caked with bugs and all that other stuff?

Yep.

Leslie, thought of that too. After 12+ months, it would have died by now. (or so it seems)

Professur

Mushroom at large
Gonzo said:
They're turning...all the time
But are they turning at full speed? I've dealt with overheating PCs that the user swore had good fans. But when I checked, the fans were turning at 1,800 rpm. They're supposed to be making 5,000 rpm.

Gato_Solo

Perhaps the temp sensors...

Rule #1...Check the cheapest thing first, and work your way up the monetary scale until you've pinpointed the problem... :)

Gonzo

Staff member
Professur said:
But are they turning at full speed? I've dealt with overheating PCs that the user swore had good fans. But when I checked, the fans were turning at 1,800 rpm. They're supposed to be making 5,000 rpm.

That seems to be the only thing that I can't be absolute about. They're turning. Either this or a clogged radiator. I was hoping someone had heard of this before & knew the answer. Might be time to let a pro overcharge me.

Gato_Solo

Gonzo said:
That seems to be the only thing that I can't be absolute about. They're turning. Either this or a clogged radiator. I was hoping someone had heard of this before & knew the answer. Might be time to let a pro overcharge me.

If you think it's a clogged radiator, do a 'reverse' flush, and see if that clears up the problem...Is the fluid the right color?

Professur

Mushroom at large
You can rent an optical sensor to test the fan speed. Or just change the bitch. Electric replacement fans only cost $40.

HeXp£Øi±

bloody
Not a mechanic. I asked an uncle of mine who is though (in a short email) and he said the following,

It sounds like either not enough air or water through the radiator, one
or the other. water pump, thermostat, air leaks around the fan schroud
all could cause this to happen.

Don't know if that's any help.

Gonzo

Staff member
It was happening before the flush & after.

I'll probably look into changing the fans...it's cheaper than a radiator.

Gonzo

Staff member
sumbitch!

All of the sudden it's running hotter (almost too hot) when traveling. Man I can't afford this shit :mad: