Am I being excessively mean?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Spanking does not work.

Putting them in timeout does not work.

Taking away their TV does not work.

They (my 2 brothers - 5 and 6 years of age) will tear up anything and everything they can get their hands on, leaving nothing but destruction behind, regardless of either of the above 3 events occurring. They will NOT clean up after ANYTHING they do, thus the filth and destruction builds up and builds up until finally someone else has to start cleaning up the house, which usually takes a few days.

So lately I decided to try out a new method of enforcement - making them run laps around part of the front yard.

Mom thinks this is too mean but I see no other way that will work.

I haven't even been doing this since a few hours ago and I am already beginning to see it working, because they just cut up an apple and smeared it all over the floor, and when I told them they could either pick it up or run 3 laps, they picked it up quicker than the quicker picker upper :eek:

Am I being excessively mean, or is this what you would do if you were in this position?

CTho9305

nope, fine by me

its reasonable. sitting in a corner is boring. running laps requires effort. It takes more effort to run than to clean up, so they clean up. It is inconvenient to run, since not only do you have to actually run, you get hot and sweaty if its hot, which REALLY sucks. I think thats a good punishment

fury

Administrator
Staff member
My thoughts exactly.

They don't like running laps one bit, which is exactly what I hoped for.

Djcake

my days online are numbered
My son doesn't like doing homework (grade 2) so why he slacks off I tell him that i am going to send him to military school.... he starts doing his work again:D

ris

i am my my own evil twin
sounds fair to me fury, especially after some of the stuff hey've done before.

perhaps you could connect the laps to a treadmill and make electricity to power the pc :D

S

s4

Yes and they will someday be running in marathons all thanks to you.

iron

i think it's a hell of an idea- one of the best I've ever heard. I've known kids who had to do stuff for punishment instead of just geting a whuppin, and they got older, and they always did better than those who weren't punished, or made to pick up after themselves, or just punished like a regular punishment.

I reckon you're doijng them a favor, really.

patweb

Eater of Hot Peppered Steak
Here's one for you.

My kid, Justin age 10. His teacher calls my wife and says that she thinks he has ADD (like he doesn't pay attention in class, who does?).

So I called him into the kitchen. I told him that his teacher said he doesn't pay attention in class. He has TWO choices.

#1- Show a marked improvement in school.

#2- That we will put him on medication that will make him forget all about games, pokemon, his computer and his toys. And it will make him love school.

His teacher called the next week and asked how we did it!

br0ck

Originally posted by patweb
Here's one for you.

My kid, Justin age 10. His teacher calls my wife and says that she thinks he has ADD (like he doesn't pay attention in class, who does?).

So I called him into the kitchen. I told him that his teacher said he doesn't pay attention in class. He has TWO choices.

#1- Show a marked improvement in school.

#2- That we will put him on medication that will make him forget all about games, pokemon, his computer and his toys. And it will make him love school.

His teacher called the next week and asked how we did it!

OMG!! That idea is awesome! Gotta remember that when I have children.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I hope I'm not out of line here, but the larger point seems to have been missed. Why should the older brother dispose ANY punishment(other than the usual big bro slap-upside-the-head type stuff).

That's is supposed to be the responsibility of the parents:confused:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Dad doesn't live here and Mom doesn't want to do any punishment other than spanking them which, as I stated earlier, doesn't work.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
I assumed there was no father in the picture. fury, honey, I am very impressed with how you are handling the situation with your brothers. It takes courage, guts... imagination... and most importantly, love.

You are wonderful :)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks spirit ;)

btw just to clarify, dad is not a slacker at all, because he does do his part whenever we're visiting at his house, but the majority of time, we are usually at this (mom's) house.