Ahhhhhhh!

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
[giant baby voice from The Matrix—Revolutions] It is done.[/giant baby voice from The Matrix—Revolutions]

It turns out we had extra wires leading from our phone box that went nowhere. That was the power drain that crapped out our signal. Now what to do with these 4 modems? :confused:

Attachments

• dsl.jpg
    dsl.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 30

greenfreak

I may be asking for help soon enough. My Dad decided to get Verizon DSL too. He should be getting the modem & software this week. He's got XP on his laptop which should automatically detect the connection, right? You don't really need to load the software, do you?

Congrats on the breakthrough Huge. About freakin time!! :smash2:

PuterTutor

Huge said:
Now what to do with these 4 modems? :confused:
Hang on to em. I've had DSL for about two years now and every once in a while it goes down. My dsl comes with a backup dialup number for just that event. Be just wonderful if I actually had a dial up modem.

greenfreak

I've needed a modem too occasionally for work related stuff. I had one in an old laptop that I kept only for that reason but it crapped out on me a few months back.

Just like floppy drives, you don't think you'll need them until you do and you're cursing yourself for not having it.

My mother just invited me to their house on Sunday... Guess what I'll probably spend half my time doing? :)

I don't mind, really. They are my parents and paid for my schooling.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Is this one computer, one connection or do you have to network more than one?

If it's just one, set up the modem drivers ONLY and manually set the protocols. Most of the bells and whistles it wants to auto install merely suck system resources and, in some cases, piggyback spyware or malware.

Professur

Mushroom at large
Huge said:
[giant baby voice from The Matrix—Revolutions] It is done.[/giant baby voice from The Matrix—Revolutions]

It turns out we had extra wires leading from our phone box that went nowhere. That was the power drain that crapped out our signal. Now what to do with these 4 modems? :confused:

But, but but ....
Just spent 45 mins on the phone with a tech from verizon; our dsl dropped significantly (can't top 20kB/s downloads). Ran every test in the book; even had him remotely log on (according to him, there's nothing wrong on their end). They will dispatch techs to check it out in the next 48 hours.

and

Well the guy just left; our cables are fine.

He suggested it might be the router. ...whch is what I've been saying all along...

If I didn't have to go into work early today, I was going to pick up another one.

I'd be onto their customer support manager, and demand at least a few months free for this crap.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
You guys never met auntie (well, Sam did talk to her a couple of times). She said enough of this shit and went straight to the top (dunno the guys name). Hence now everything is fixed.

12 blind monkeys could run the company better. I think we did score an extra free month though.

greenfreak

HomeLAN said:
Is this one computer, one connection or do you have to network more than one?

If it's just one, set up the modem drivers ONLY and manually set the protocols. Most of the bells and whistles it wants to auto install merely suck system resources and, in some cases, piggyback spyware or malware.

Just one. Thanks man, I'll be sure to do that. Unless my Dad already got it and used their help to set it up. But I highly doubt that. He hasn't even used the DVD recorder I bought him for Christmas.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
greenfreak said:
Just one. Thanks man, I'll be sure to do that. Unless my Dad already got it and used their help to set it up. But I highly doubt that. He hasn't even used the DVD recorder I bought him for Christmas.

You may have to call them to get the settings - they REALLY want you to install their shit sometimes. If you know the DSL provider, it may be worth your while to hit their website and print out all that stuff (if available) before you go.