XiBase SETI

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Posty Wahts FAH? is that the folding thing? I would like to offer a few different things for members to get involved in. the cancer thing is one of them also.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
NEO, F@h is folding. I ran it for a while, but I didn't care for it....but like posty said, to each his own. I've had relatively few problems with g@h, so I like it better. I heard the cancer project is, well, let's just say, less than noble...I could be mistaken or things may have changed. If anybody has some detailed info on this project I'd be very interested.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Q, you are correct in the UD Cancer Research Project being less than noble...

1) They profit from the CPU cycles their members kindly donate
2) They do not make the results available to the public

I stopped at #2 because that is reason enough for me to sway completely away from it.

As for folding, with a lot of our users being on dialup and/or slower machines it may not be the best choice. Folding is not able to cache, and the units have a set time limit in which they are valid results. It works best with faster machines that have an always on connection

I would prefer that if XiBase officially dives into the world of distributed computing, that we stay focused on one project, seeing how our member base is not (yet) very huge. A lot of different teams would spread us out too thin and we wouldn't be able to take a respectable position (Not devaluing the efforts of our members who are already starting teams on other DC projects, I'm just saying that this is what's going to happen)

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
The main opposition I have to the UD project is that you actually have no control over what your computer does - the way it works is that you "sell" your CPU cycles to UD in exchange for the chance to win certain prizes, but in return you give UD the right to assign whatever tasks they desire to your CPU, which in effect means that "from time to time" you get assigned commercial tasks paid for by 3rd parties. Granted, sometimes you will in fact be running the cancer client, but you never really know what you're actually doing. There is the possibility of opting out of the prize eligibility, which then exempts you from running the comercially-sponsored tasks.
It is definitely aimed at those who take the "what's in it for me" approach, but I think it would be awesome if enough members decided to forego the the prizes & participate on the same playing field as those in FAH or GAH. That would be making a very audible statement.
fury your number 2 point is one I however have no answer for.. :)

As for this site, I think it would be good to be able to spread out over a few projects - more exposure, and it leaves members free to chose their project. However as you mentioned, we are at present not a huge site, and what with a large proportion of the site's members already genoming for OCN, our possible DC base is even more limited. Paradoxically, single-project sites work best with a large user base, and a project spread for smaller member numbers. But I think we probably need an idea of exactly how many potential DCers we have..

~ :)

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
HEY POSTY!!

I emailed my bro and gave him the link to your SETI page, so hopefully he'll jump in. One thing I noticed, though, the xi-base logo doesn't not link back to the forums, could you make it do that?

The page looks great BTW:)