Printer problem

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The printer cord is plugged into the LPT1: port and the printer, the printer has plenty of paper, is not out of ink, but Windows says there was an error sending to LPT1:.

This is about all the information I have at the moment, but I would appreciate any ideas you have.

obviously I already have "Check if the I/O card is seated firmly" on my mind when I have a chance to go over there to fix0r it

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it's turned on. There is nothing that I can think of that should be wrong, except there IS something wrong.

Unless that I/O card has been knocked out of the slot, I can't think of anything.

S

s4

try unplugging the cables and putting them back...could be a bad connection...could be a memory address/irq conflict-check the device manager to see if it says the printer/port is working properly...try pulling the print cartridges out and putting them back...

could be any number of things

i recently thought my printer went bad...i bought a new one like it and tried the old cartridge that i just bought new a couple of weeks ago...turns out the cartridge went bad and the printer was ok.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Originally posted by s4
try unplugging the cables and putting them back...could be a bad connection...could be a memory address/irq conflict-check the device manager to see if it says the printer/port is working properly...try pulling the print cartridges out and putting them back...

could be any number of things

i recently thought my printer went bad...i bought a new one like it and tried the old cartridge that i just bought new a couple of weeks ago...turns out the cartridge went bad and the printer was ok.
s4 the ink cartridge was bad? I'm having the exact same problem. Error sending to LPT1. I put a brand new cable on. d/led the drivers and an update from HP. I took the ink cartriges out, but it's too hard to tell if they have ink in them. I didn't want to waste money on ink if the printer was bad.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Lexmark is all I know. They couldn't find any other model markings on it, or they just didn't tell me

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
On the back of the printer will be a number like 4070, 407_, 4080, 4090, 409_ .....
Find out what it is.
There HAS to be a number somewhere on the printer.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Mine is a HP Deskjet 690C. My mom has an extra ink cartridge, I'm gonna give that a whirl today. I got the printer from my brother and he has the CD drivers that came with it. If the ink doesn't correct the problem, I'll go get the real drivers.
I'm still open to suggestions though, Fuser. I don't like being outsmarted by a damn printer. :smash:

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
Q, try doing a test print from the printer. I think you hold the paper feed button while turning the printer on. It should do a selt test print out. This way you can tell if it's an ink problem or a board problem.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
It failed the test print test the last time I tried it. It doesn't even suck the paper in. I didn't know if that was a precation to prevent it from trying to print without ink or what.:cry2: I can't believe I'm getting my ass kicked by a printer. :mad:

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
If it's not pulling in the paper, lift the cover. Is the ink already sitting in the middle waiting to be changed?

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Yep, it's parked right in the middle, but my old printer used to do that just becuse you opened the lid. I'm going over to moms in a little while to get an ink cartridge from her. I'll let you know.

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
Is it sitting there when you open, or is it moving over because you opened it?

If it is there already, you need new ink.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
When the printer is off it stays over in it's little hiding spot.

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
When the printer is off it will always be over on the service station. Turn the printer on, wait for a minute so it goes throught it's warm up. Lift the cover, if the ink is not moving and is sitting in the middle, get new ink.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Ok, here's what it did. When I opened it, it scooted to the middle. I closed it and it stayed in the middle. I opened it really fast the 2nd time to try and catch it off guard. It seems once it's on and it makes it's way to the middle, it just stays there.

alex

Originally posted by Q
Ok, here's what it did. When I opened it, it scooted to the middle. I closed it and it stayed in the middle. I opened it really fast the 2nd time to try and catch it off guard. It seems once it's on and it makes it's way to the middle, it just stays there.

:lol: next time wear sunglasses and a wig :lol: