Opteron - your opinions

Will Opteron make AMD's future bright?

• Yes. AMD is on its way up!

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No. THis just opens the door for Chipzilla.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • What kind of stupid name is Opteron?

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Justintime

Something
The PIV core will likely need .09 at the least and maybe longer pipes to ever hit 7Ghz, at 3Ghz its getting quite warm, warmer than any Athlon ever was, so unless the cooling of cpus change it'll hit the thermal limit long before 4Ghz. AMD did a wonderful job in stretching the Athlon .18 to 1.73Ghz, quite impressive as the Tualatin never made it there and was on .13 to boot, though i feel Intel could've done it, but they did'nt want the PIV looking bad. No matter how you put it, i'll never forgive Intel for the Willamette core, and people who bought it then are just as shanked as they were then, now, sse2 instructions etc. or no. I still feel K7 has the potential for 2.4-6Ghz with a few steppings and fine tuning, lots of 2800+ chips i've dealt with have done 2.5Ghz at default core volt and that will definetly rock the PIV's boat. I hope they scale operton fast, at 2.3-4Ghz it'll be king of the hill maybe for some time.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
I don't think the PIV will scale much higher either. Any chip is great in the beginning. Remember people said the first Athlons were inferior to the PIII. I hope that when the Opteron starts to improve it'll kill the PIV in perfomance. My only fear is that they not being able to keep good prices for a 64 bit chip...

catocom

Machinehead
I think AMD needs to bring back a new version of the duron.
Keeping the price low is the only way they are going to be able
to compete with Intel.

Justintime

Something
Operton is looking good in the server arena, IBM have said they'll be using it, the main thing is the memory addressing, much more than the XEON can do.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
IBM's support was expected, though, given what those two have been doing on the collaboration side. What's really going to break this loose will be:

1) really good Opteron sales numbers on the next quarterly report, or

2) an announcement by an HP or (dare I hope it) Dell that they're going to produce an Opteron server or workstation.

I'm praying for number 2, but I suspect it'll be #1. That means a rocky three months for AMD.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I'm hoping #2 as well. Hell, Dell has their Optiplex server which would go SO good with an Opteron processor or 4

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
catocom said:
I think AMD needs to bring back a new version of the duron.
Keeping the price low is the only way they are going to be able
to compete with Intel.
Yes, really a pitty the Apalloosa isn't going to be released. :( 2 Ghz Durons would be a blast!

Professur

Mushroom at large
HP doesn't want or need the Opt. They bought Compaq. Who bought Digital. Who developped the Alpha. AKA the best freaking chip technology going. Compaq sold the Alpha to Intel, who've used it's tech to advance their IA64. Which is now the chip of record for their Always On servers.