Opteron - your opinions

Will Opteron make AMD's future bright?

• Yes. AMD is on its way up!

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No. THis just opens the door for Chipzilla.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • What kind of stupid name is Opteron?

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
A lot of folks think that the Opteron (AMD's 64 bit CPU with backwards compantibility) is the future for AMD. A lot more think that Intel's marketing power will kill the chip, and AMD along with it. What's your take on it?

PuterTutor

I don't think that Intel will kill AMD. They are starting to get a foot in the door in large computers, granted many companies don't seem to care about cost when it comes to a $100,000 computer, but some do. I really doubt they will ever take over Intel anytime, but I think they will stay around as an annoyance. That and the desktop chips they make are great chips.

tommyj27

teh ho-bot
amd is so diversified as far as their product line i don't think opteron will break them, nor will it make them.

unclehobart

this is my special title
Do we have story linkage? Anything about specs? The ups and downs? Timing? Benefits, concerns, quirks, concerns?

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_4699_7981,00.html

Sorry.

My personal feeling is that they're going to take a short term dive as the traditionally stuffed-shirt server market refuses to ditch Intel chips. In September, when the desktop version comes out, you'll see some real life performance. If it lives up to expectations, I think the server boys are going to have to look again at a 64 bit solution which doesn't mandate a total software re-write.

However, that scenario gives Intel another 6 months to get with the X86-64 game.

Professur

Mushroom at large
Personally, I think this chip is gonna blow the webserver market apart. Linux is already storming through that market, and AMD chips abound. A solid 64 bit chip fully supporting and supported by Linux is a wet dream for that crowd.

Until they get full recognition from M$, it won't dent the apps server market. NT has too strong a strangle hold there. But if they can show a powerful 100% availability server ... well, that's where the Alpha found it's niche too.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
M$ supposedly plans to release 64 bit OS supporting Opteron in September - when the desktop version launches.

Professur

Mushroom at large
And when that's found to be total crapola, Intel is gonna laugh their asses off and point the finger at AMD.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
I don't see how it can so much of a failure. I still trust in AMD's capability of doing a rocking chip. Intel's marketing won't keep them on the top forever...

Justintime

Something
Noite Escura said:
I don't see how it can so much of a failure. I still trust in AMD's capability of doing a rocking chip. Intel's marketing won't keep them on the top forever...

Yea, but its becoming ever so apparent that Intel is actually getting back into the clock speed + IPC game, along with some high fsbs to boot, the PIV is lookin better than it ever did.

Professur

Mushroom at large
The P4 is doing what it was always supposed to do. Be the basis for the next generation of CPUs. People often forget that the core of the PIII, PII, and Celreon was the old Ppro core. Advanced, and retuned, but still a chip that debutted at 150Mhz. They got that jalopy over a Gig. If they can pull off the same with the P4 core, and I think they can, it has the potential to top 7Ghz.

As for the Hz race, that's nothing more than a marketing tool now. It's meaningless. Right now, AMD does more per tick, but the tendancy now is to serial connections. AMD is still using a parallel philosophy. Intel has set up a technology that lets them do more total. "Specially in a tuned system, using the fastest ram going. A system with bottlenecks favours the AMD, for now.