OH MY GOD

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I try not to talk about sex every night with a man with a big credit card because brainsoft gets kind of jealous when he's reminded of what myself and Hobart have going on.

unclehobart

this is my special title
Jealous of what? I'm 1500+ miles down the cowpath from you two. I'm not much of a threat insofar as muscling in on his territory.

rae

oetkbbyetdia
dial-up is lame. had it ,hated it now i got dsl. thank the computer gods for it. :beerchug:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by rae
dial-up is lame. had it ,hated it now i got dsl. thank the computer gods for it. :beerchug:

dial-up is lame. have it, hate it, wish I had dsl. pray to the computer gods for it. :smash:

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
Have DSL @ work
Have cable @ home (and I still have my dail-up account as back-up)

Where do you guys live that there's no DSL or cable?

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
My name is Q...and I am a bandwidth addict. :cry2:

*still reeling in terror at ATT vs. @home shakeup* :scared:

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Originally posted by Fuser Man
Where do you guys live that there's no DSL or cable?
Believe it or not fuse, there are jumbo chunks of the states that do not have cable or DSL access. I live in Sarasota county in Fl, which is the 2nd richest county in the state/per capita and there are areas here that don't have access to either. (and I'm talking 1/2 million dollar beachfront properties) The UK has almost no high speed internet access and from what I hear, the few places it is available it's practically unaffordable for the average person.

unclehobart

this is my special title
HomeLAN lives in a large subdivision right in the middle of densely populated suburbia. Everything around him has DSL for a good mile or so... everything except his one neighborhood. His subdivision was created back around the late 60s. It was the only subdivision in the area for a good decade. The county and city governments decided in their bizzare wisdom to link its telephone service out of a neighboring city several several miles down the road. It is still that way today. The DSL signal can't survive that kind of length and noone wants to foot the bill to rerout it all. Funny thing is: there are 2 large telephone substations within one lousy mile that were built within the last 5 years and yet the line service comes from over 7 miles away. Its ludicrous. There are darn near 400 houses contained with his subdivision block. Its a middle class/upper middle class gold mine for new telephone services and they don't seen to care. I guess their demographics say that there are to many non computer retirees there and that they won't break even doing it.

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
That's just sad. Bell and Rogers are at least trying to get service everywhere. They just finished laying more cable in a resi area close to work. Hell my boss can get DSL at her cottage!

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Yeah, Unc said it right. Ludricrous. What's funny is that there are at least two guys in this neighborhood doing system builds (I've seen the neighborhood MCSE advertising in the neighborhood rag), and we just can't get high speed access.

You ever tried d/l'ing several 5+ MB drivers for a new system over dial-up? Set it up, walk away for an hour and a half, and hope to hell your ISP doesn't drop you.