Intelligent Discussion time

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Does God, or any other supernatural, omnipresent being for that matter, exist?

I do believe one exists, but not necessarily in the stereotypical fashion. For instance, I don't believe in having to memorize and recite a certain written set of words in order to constitute as a prayer, because if someone or something really is listening up there, he/she would listen no matter what words I used.

I think (no offense intended) that religion is actually just a form of mind control designed to be an attempt at keeping sanity and peace to those who were "born" into it.

What're your thoughts?

(i do not demand, but I do ask that you only post relevant, non-fluff replies. Please.)

alex

I find it rather hard to believe in a God as well. There is too much physical evidence of evolution. *says prayer just in case*

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Don't see what evolution has to do with existance of God. Just because some assholes created a fantasy tale about how "earth was created for dummies" 4000 years ago it doesn't mean that God can't exist. Believing or not it's a matter of faith in the end.
Hmmm I can see wdeep coming here to bash evolution theory :D. I mean, if he wasn't banned from here, of course.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
We've had some form of deity(ies) since the inception of the written word &, I'd imagine, LONG before that. I have no belief about our current one(Jehovah). Hence, I'm a true atheist. The idea of a power on that magnitude is fascinating, yet frightening beyond words.
Taking it a step further, religion is the curse of any deity because man decides to interpret the "words" in his choosing. The words written in the bible/torah/qoran are wonderfully enlightening if taken as a guide, not a rulebook. And I don't mean the useless King James or Gideon pap....

I am not an atheist who opposes religion or (deity), just the mis-use of such

BigDadday

Everday People
I'm a catholic who doesn't really follow the religion anymore but why is it when we have a tradgedy or loss of a loved one we turn to "God" and ask why? I know it's a time of being really in a state of shock but to get to the point I think there Has to be something and maybe it's like the old twighlight zone movie I remember. we're actually in a glass tank and someone is feeding us and watching us as we do an ant hill.

75renegade

Official Wine Taster
SPIRITUAL SHIT

Guess all 'ere are willin' to accept self a "God"!!
Hmmmmmmmm........ Wonder what He's got to say 'bout all of our sovereighnty?

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
There is only one God. He sent his only Son to die on the cross at Calvary for our sake. You do not have to memorize any scripture or say any certain prayer, just believe. Believe with all your heart that Jesus is the son of God and the only way to salvation, everlasting life in heaven. No works, no pledges, just accept the divine gift of salvation He offers freely to all who believe.

From my own experience I can say that I would never put my trust in anyone else but God, including me, my spouse (now X), my son, my parents, or anyone on this earth. We are all prone to fail each other and ourselves due to our sin nature. Sin is what seperates us from God and we must acknowledge this and accept the Bible as the true and unerring word of God and the guide for our lives. But remember the real key is very simple. Simply accept Christ as Lord and Saviour. I realize this is very difficult in this world where WE are so important to ourselves. Humility is the only way to acceptance. Acknowledge your sin, ask God for forgiveness and accept His Son as Lord above all. Otherwise perish in a place never designed for man but for Satan. He will be very glad you are there with him for all eternity.

75renegade

Official Wine Taster
Feelin' good!

Guess it's all 'bout "us", huh? ("I am God")
God is only as big as I let 'im be...........
(judgement-day ) is gonna surprise so many! (Too Bad though....
all y'all "agnostics"....Jesus is real!..........Don't ya yet realize how "fargin" weak we are?.........Can't ya jus' accept it? (F#ck No!....) I am "All- Powerful".............as far as you know.

Sorry, all, believe we're all in need 'ere.(maybe I'm jus' to f#ckin' weak. (that's ok) Guess all "agnostics & atheists" R jus' higher than I!
(Damn!.......sensitive subject! )

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Originally posted by wine4all
Otherwise perish in a place never designed for man but for Satan. He will be very glad you are there with him for all eternity.

I'm not real familiar with the New Testament, but in the old one I can't recall God ever saying that man with perish into anything with Satan-that's a lie made up by the Catholic church about 1200 years ago to scare the masses into mass.