I stepped to the dark side

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Never had a problem with Tiger. I still use them quite a bit. Although, I have heard about problems.

systembuilder

Folding@home
i'm glad that you have had good luck with them, every time i have to do an rma on a part with Tiger its a big prob, i dont like probs
ill stay with my normal venders

greenfreak

I'm dredging up this old thread because they've done it again and I want to warn everyone.

This time, it's a corporate account I have at work.

Now we have a dedicated account rep who sounds like it's his first day on the job and has no practical information about the company, their policies and procedures or about computers in general. The most recent chain of events:

Placed an order for 3 refurbished Dell laptops.

When I saw that one went on backorder, I called and was told that they don't expect any more so I have to order something else. I ordered an IBM laptop.

Received the 2 Dells sans network cards/floppy drives. My fault for assuming that this laptop is complete--I'm so used to Latitudes. The first one boots to a DOS screen "No Operating System found". Even though it's supposed to come with XP, no sweat, I'm going to put 2000 on it anyway. Press F2 to go into the BIOS, it has a BIOS password I can't get past.

Rep can't get the proper contact information to call Dell and get information on how to bypass the password. (it's an obscure laptop, not a Latitude or Inspiron so no other information online on how to do it)

Rep keeps me waiting for TWO DAYS for this information, and then finally tells me that his manager reamed him out for selling us open box laptops. We have to return the laptop and order another one. I tell them I'll return the Dell but as far as ordering another one, no thanks, I'm going elsewhere. I order an oldish laptop from Dell, our rep gives us a price break so I can make my deadline.

Meanwhile, I ask our rep again for the contact information on the other Dell so I can do a change of ownership.

Then the IBM shows up. It doesn't even boot. This time we can call IBM support and we figure out that the RAM is bad. We get a new RAM stick overnight. I configure the laptop and go to log on to the network--the NIC doesn't work. I call IBM on my own this time and they say since there's no FRU number from IBM on it, it must not have come factory installed and they can't replace it.

I tell my rep that I want an RMA on this card, no questions asked.

A week later, I'm still waiting for the contact information for the transfer of ownership on the Dell and the Xircom RMA. I get an email from my rep asking me if I shipped the other Dell laptop back yet and saying "I haven't forgotten about your warranty information". :rolleyes:

Now it looks as though I have to order another refurbished laptop. I REALLY don't want to order from them because I've never had anything but trouble from them. HomeLAN suggested refurbished Toshibas, I think I might try them out if they'll set us up on Net30 terms. I know Dell will only deal with credit cards and loan/leases which my company won't do.

Thanks for listening, I just want everyone else to be prepared if they have to order from them. They are positively the worst vedor I've ever dealt with.

Professur

Mushroom at large
I don't buy anything from anyone unless I can get my hands around their neck. And I make it clear from the start that I will.