Hey Q!

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Your right unc. It was and I do apologize to wetling for the remark. I am sorry wetling.

S

s4

I've never owned an IBM drive but have had one Maxtor drive go bad. I sent it back and they sent a new one out promplty. I've been using Maxtor drives with very few problems for about 6 years.

trinity1

1 of 3
In the machine I am using now I have both Western Digital and Maxtor and both are humming fine for years.
In other machines I built for fun I installed Seagate Barracuda SCSI drives I took from an old server that they were throwing away. God knows how old they are, but each one is 4.29G and I have 4 in each machine. Each drive is time delayed, so when you crank them up, you hear a very distinctive racing sound until they are all at full RPMs. And of the 11 Seagates I grabbed, only one was dead. Not bad for free!
But the main thing here: no matter what kind of drive you have - back up everything important to you!!:)

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Every manufacturer is going to have it's fair share of bad apples. Now, I hate Maxtors drives. They suck in my opinion, but they rock in customer service. Advanced replacemnet and when they RMA a produsc it's usually pretty damn fast. I would consider a Maxtor before an IBM any day. Being a tech myself, I go through 100-200 drives a month. I see the same amount of SB Lives, PII's PV's AMD's...all have failures. So far this month alone I've RMA'd some two dozen PIII's. Intel is awesome when it comes to RMA's of retail CPU's though. Next day Air. For me it has a lot to do with the customer service of the company. That customer service gets passed down to the customer. The faster I can serve the customer, the better. The slower losses.

unclehobart

this is my special title
I lost a Western Digital harddrive due to a connecting pin defect 2 years ago. I lost quite an ocean of data. Needless to say, I am not a fan because of it.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
I remember a WD not to long ago that, when connected to the power supply, would short out the whole system and pop the fuse in the power supply. I can't remember if that was connected to the recalled drives or not. Wierdest thing I've seen in computers. Just attach the power and poof.

Justintime

Something
had one caviar that made weird clicks, still works after 5yrs though :D all my gxp75's are total goners, crossing me fingers with the 60gxp's i have :) ;)