Hey Q!

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Got my drive back from IBM. A bit of advice for all those wanting a new drive...DON'T BUY IBM DRIVES!

drive.jpg

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Yikes! don't say that! I got a 2 month old 40GB IBM in one of my t-birds. :eek2:

That seemed like it took a looong time Posty....how long have you been waiting?

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
The drive went tits up on me back in early Sept....right around when the attacks occurred. Nearly two friggin months to get the replacment back to me. I had to call them numerous times...."Oh yeah....we'll get that out asap...." Yeah.....RIGHT!

They offer no advance replacement like WD does.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I just lost the HDD on my comcrap. It was a WD....but it's demise was a direct result of the damn power company. I am gaonna get something outta them for my distress.:smash:

Justintime

Something
yah, 1 month each here, over 4 gxp75 replacements, all died within 2 weeks of being returned:mad: never going IBM again, 60gxps i use work fine, but reconsiderin my position

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Hey homer. hehe Actually, I believe the problem has to do with the platters of the 75's being made outta a glass/poly composite. Unproven technology I suppose...to early to the market. Anyway, the 60 has, from everything I've read, been a rock stable drive. I may have been just unlucky with the 40 gigger. Well see. BSD should have the aswer here in a bit. hehe

The thing that really gets me though is the support. Nearly two to get a drive replaced that was only two months old to begin with is pathetic. Simply pathetic. Because of that, I will never buy another IBM product. If they had gotten the drive out asap like they said or done advanced replacement then I may very well have a different view of them. to late. They have shown me what they think of their customers. Later IBM. Take a hike.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
yeah, I'm going with Seagate for my next drive. Even though IBMs are decently fast, the way they treat their customers is just ridiculous. But for the record, I still haven't had any trouble with my 75gxp. :shrug:

Justintime

Something
lucky you! i've seen both 60 and 75GXP's dead :D but i'd say 85% were 75's have a WD caviar 17GB a Seagate baracuda a seagate Cheetah SCSI , quantum fireball, quantum bigfoot (lol) and a Maxtor diamondmax and never ever had trouble with em

BigDadday

Everday People
As Justimtime said "Maxtor diamondmax and never ever had trouble with em" I agree as they have always done right by me and am happy. BD

Professur

Mushroom at large
Word to the Wise. Stop doing it yourself. Find yourself an IBM warranty authorized shop and let them do the leg work. If I ever have to wait more than 72 hours for a part, I've got the regional manager on the phone finding out why. Larger shops can often replace your part out of their stockpile, with a zero wait time.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I also might think about WD's 120 gig hard drive. On some benchmark I found at either Toms or Anand's, their 1000BB scored nicely on some intensive hard drive benchies, as in it got the highest maintained read/write speed of all the drives they tested

Inkara1

I had a 2GB drive of theirs that was 2 years old die. The heads crashed... then crashed again and again and again. This was July 1999.

I sent it in and they sent me a 2.5GB drive in replacement. It was bigger but it seemed slow for some reason. The bearing went out 9 months later. If I held it at one certain angle I could rescue my mp3s.

So ever since April 2000 or so I've been wary of WD's quality. A shame because the 80MB drive from 1991 of theirs that I have still works.